Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tasty Tuesday!

The holidays are upon us (or at least me!), which means that I'm not making anything super fancy or hard right now because ... I just don't have the time. That said, I'm also trying to cook extra healthy at home because I know what happens when I head out to restaurants or parties. I need to make up for my indulgences somewhere.

That said, there aren't a ton of veggies that are in season right now - it being freezing cold winter in Chicago and all. Fortunately, I'm still finding some pretty good winter greens in the stores, and I've been making a lot of kale. Lucky for me, the wee ones like it, too - especially when I make the crispy baked kale.

But for something a little more fun, we made Asian Kale earlier this week. It was super easy and really tasty. We paired it with my Miso Glazed Chicken and rice, and it was a perfect winter meal. The wee ones loved it, too.

Asian Kale

Ingredients:
6 cups kale (about a bunch and a half)
2 t sesame oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 inch ginger, fresh grated
1 c chicken stock
1 t soy sauce
pepper to taste

Directions:
Wash your kale just before cooking. Fold the leave in half vertically so that the stem is on one side and leaves are on the other. Cut off the stem and toss, saving the leaves. Cut the leaves into bite sized pieces.

Sautee the onion in a pan with the sesame oil at medium high heat. After a minute, add the garlic and sautee for another minute.

Add the kale, ginger, and chicken stock, and cook for about two minutes. You'll want to see the kale starting to wilt (and shrink) but don't want to overcook it. Add the soy sauce and stir to coat.

Remove from the heat and add pepper, stirring again. Serve immediately. And ummm because I did so, and then it disappeared, I ended up with no pictures. Sorry! I'll make it again soon though, and hopefully I'll have pictures then. This does go really well with my miso glazed chicken or chicken satay with peanut sauce. Yum!

Enjoy this and more at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace!

Current Giveaways:
The Dolphin: Story of a Dreamer DVD with 2 winners here
Professional cookware, courtesy Jewel here
Baby Einstein Discovery Kit here


5 comments:

Tara R. December 21, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

My picky non-veggie-eating son may actually like this recipe. It sounds wonderful.

Susie December 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

Huh...I should give that a try:-)

Claudya Martinez December 21, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

I'll have to try this. I'm not a fan of kale, but my husband is always trying to get me to eat it and this sounds good.

Happy Holidays to you and your beautiful family!

septembermom December 22, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

I would like to have a good kale recipe. This sounds great Michelle. Thanks. Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas!!

Michelle December 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM  

Tara - Go for it. Just like that yummy salad you've been making, too!

Susie - It's great. And another of those sneaky yummy foods!

Unknown Mami - Kale really varies on how you make it. I also will toss larger pieces of it in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and a little pepper and then bake until lightly crispy. They get crunchy like chips and have an awesome smoky flavor.

Kelly - I've got a few of them. I also will grill them in foil with garlic and olive oil and a bit of salt. And a Merry Christmas to you, too!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP