Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tasty Tuesday!

The holidays are always a time for entertaining - at least amongst my friends and family. This year, my uncle had Christmas Day dinner again (I host Christmas Eve with a smaller group, but the big event includes all the extended family). He loves to cook, as I do, and this year he outdid himself, as usual.

My favorite, and one of the more unique items he made was an appetizer that was arranged to look like a pine cone, again perfect for entertaining and the holidays. We won't comment on my view of it while seated from further away and thinking it was a porcupine (oops, sorry!) - once you stood up to view it and saw the little pine bough at the top of the pine cone shape, it was obviously a pine cone and very cool. And of course very yummy! If you haven't figured out what you're making for New Year's Eve or your next gathering, this one is definitely worth a second look.

Six Point Spread

Ingredients:
8 oz cream cheese
4 oz Swiss cheese
4 slices bacon, crispy
2 T green onion, sliced
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 c whole almonds

Directions:
You'll want to make this ahead of time to ensure it chills sufficiently to hold its shape.

Place the almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast at 250 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. You don't have to do this, but it really adds a lot of good flavor to it.

Ensure the cream cheese is at room temperature. Mix the cream cheese with the Swiss cheese until fully integrated. Chop the bacon into small pieces, and add it, the onion and the Worcestershire sauce. Mix completely, and chill.

Shape as you will (for example, into a pine cone!), and place onto your serving dish. Arrange the almonds into an artful pattern atop the spread. Serve with crackers, and watch it disappear.


Enjoy this and more at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace! (And thank my uncle for a great idea!)

10 comments:

Together We Save December 28, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

Sounds wonderful!!

Tara R. December 28, 2010 at 6:38 PM  

This sounds delicious!

Tara R. December 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susie December 28, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

I have made those before and they are always a hit:-)

TheUncle December 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

Hey, thanks, glad you loved it, but FYI, your Aunt was the designer and chief architect. I can't take credit for too much on Xmas.

Michelle December 31, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

Denise - It was awesome! I could have eaten that and that alone for ummm a very long time. Very long.

Tara - It is. I'm guessing not so much a southern thing, but you might want to consider "importing" it ;)

Susie - Why am I not surprised? It's totally a midwestern thing, and oh yum aren't they good!?

TheUncle - Ummm oops. My apologies to her. Obviously we didn't stay long enough on Christmas day to get all the details. Next year!

Pat January 1, 2011 at 12:13 PM  

This is another of your recipes I've saved. It sounds scruptious. I hope your aunt used Blue Diamond almonds. ;D

Pat January 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM  

Oops... scrumptious, not scruptious, which sounds like a bad thing

septembermom January 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM  

Looks good!

Michelle January 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM  

Pat - Ummmm I'll say that yes, she did. And ooo I'm eating almonds right now as a matter of fact. Kirkland, though. Are they Blue Diamond?

Kelly - Ohhhh it is. Not the most healthy possibly, but absolutely rocking :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP