Monday, October 19, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

Ahhh, the fall weather is truly upon us. Or it was. I swear. I was waking up to temps in the 20s, and we weren't getting out of the 40s. Apparently my complaining helped, as it was sunny and got up into the mid 50s today.

I'm still sticking with the soup I made this weekend though. It was good, and there's a tiny bit left, as the wee ones don't/can't eat this. Yay, more for me. Even my husband liked it.

Cream of Multi-Vegetable Soup:

Ingredients:
1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 green onion, sliced
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t salt
1 T butter
3 c chicken stock
1 c dry white wine (not an icky bottle; something you want to drink the rest of)
2 c milk
1 lb broccoli, blanched
1/2 lb fresh spinach
8 oz cheddar cheese


Directions:
Chop your veggies, including a rough chop of the lightly blanched broccoli.

Melt the butter with 1/4 c chicken stock in your soup pan. Once melted, add the onion, garlic, and green onion. Cook for 10 minutes until translucent, then add the nutmeg and pepper.

Add the chicken stock and wine. Add the spinach and cover until the spinach has wilted. Add the broccoli, and use an immersion blender to puree the whole lot. (Or put some of the liquid in the blender with all the vegetables and blend then return it to the pot).

Add the milk and bring to a light simmer. Slowly add the cheese, stirring until melted between each handful. Decide that 8 oz of cheese isn't enough, and add another 4 oz if you're anything like me but decide not to put it in the recipe, because 8 oz already sounds like a lot of cheese.

Serve immediately.


Enjoy this and more at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed By Grace!

I will admit that this isn't the best looking food picture I ever took. My mistake for putting a greenish soup into a yellow bowl. I opted not to include the picture. My husband loved it. I loved it. Just try it!

13 comments:

Angie's Spot October 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM  

Oh my goodness, this sounds divine! The weather here is finally starting to get a little chilly. It's weird because it's like we've skipped Fall altogether! Thanks for the great recipe!

Cookie October 19, 2009 at 11:25 PM  

I thought today was Monday. Did I lose a day?
And did I miss the picture????

Unknown October 20, 2009 at 7:54 AM  

This looks terrific! I'll have to give it a try :)

Blessings!
Gail

Teacher Tom October 20, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

Okay, I'm not so thrilled that the fall rain is upon us, but cold weather food is definitely a compensation. We had a saute of delectica squash and dinosaur kale last night . . . Soup tonight? Yes!

Pat October 20, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

This one is another keeper for me. I think I actually have all these ingredients right now. Maybe I'll even make it tonight! I've copied and saved many of your recipes.

Jenn October 20, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

Sounds yummy and perfect for cold winter days! Thanks

Unknown October 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

Love all the veggie. THANKS!!! Geri

septembermom October 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

That sounds yummy and filling! Thanks!

Karen October 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

Sounds great - I love cream soups.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace October 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

Thanks Michelle. The soup sounds good!

Michelle October 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

Angie - I love the word divine. Thanks even just for that :)

Cookie - Ummm it was. But I work on Tuesdays in the office, so the only way to get this up is to put it up late on a Monday and pretend it's Tuesday. Lame, I know.

Mrs. P - It's pretty good. In fact, I think there's a tiny bit left for my lunch yet tomorrow!

Teacher Tom - Dinosaur kale? Now that sounds like something right up Mister Man's alley. Where does one find such a thing?

Pat - That's so sweet! I hope you've enjoyed some of the ones you've tried. They're ones I enjoy, but I know everyone has different tastes.

Jennifer - It is. And it isn't too heavy either, which I like. Some creamy soups are ... more than I'm up for.

heartnsoulcooking - Can you tell what I had in the fridge that needed to be used ASAP? ;)

Kelly - It is. I didn't make biscuits or anything with it, but I might go for some baguettes tomorrow to help finish it off. Mmm, yum!

Karen - Me, too. And not only because they have the word cream in them. :)

Lisa - It is. Enjoy!

Angela October 24, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

Sounds super yummy! And I read somewhere above something about biscuits. Hmmmm... I'm thinking this soup and cheese biscuits sound like a grand plan for tomorrow!!

Michelle March 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

Angela - I think soup and cheese biscuits is just about always a good plan :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP