Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It's Only A Milestone

Birthdays can be hard for people. I know people who have denied having a birthday since they turned 21. I know others who went headlong into a serious depression upon hitting thirty. Or forty. Those who bemoan every birthday.

Not me. I used to look forward to turning certain ages - 10, 13, 16, 18, 21... but now it's just another birthday. I have to stop to think about how old I am, but it truly doesn't matter to me. Milestone birthdays aren't a milestone to me.

And I know people who have the same issues with their children. They lament no longer having a child whose age they count in months. They lament starting preschool or kindergarten.

Not me. One. Fine. Two. Three. Four. Five. I enjoyed watching Mister Man grow.

And on Sunday, he turned six. It first dawned on me when he came home from school on Friday. I was fine sending him to school with the macaroni and cheese for the food pantry and the cherry brownie bites. When he got out of my friend's car with the crown announcing he was six, I gasped.

He's really turning six. He's no longer a little boy; he's actually turning into a big kid. I love the fact that he's growing up, but ... it really hit me hard. And now I'm dreading when he turns 10, 13, 16, 18, 21.

But no matter what, he'll always be my little boy. I get it now when my mom says that.




(See the boy crying in the sideview? Apparently in his world, all presents are his, and he didn't take well to being told Mister Man was going to get to keep them. Such a cutie, though! Mister Man, on the other hand, was T-H-R-I-L-L-E-D to get his Legos. "I never dreamed I'd ever get these!" he enthused.)



PS That's the cake Grandma made him, not mine.

19 comments:

Claudya Martinez October 13, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

Happy Birthday, Mister Man!

Laura October 13, 2009 at 10:52 PM  

Yeah! My middle boy Union turns 6 on Friday! So close! And it's funny 6 is weird right. It's like all the sudden there they go and then they are gone.

WeaselMomma October 14, 2009 at 5:39 AM  

It all sneaks up on us and they get really big when we aren't looking. Thy will always be our babies though, no matter how big they grow.

Tam October 14, 2009 at 7:19 AM  

Birthdays...hmm for myself they are no big deal anymore but for my kids I want them to have fond memories of their birthdays. YOU little guy sure is a cutie patootie

Have a great Wednesday!

Karen October 14, 2009 at 7:23 AM  

I'm with you all the way on the birthday thing. Although I did rejoice last year when I realized that I only turned 38 and not 39. It's nice to know you're younger than you think.

Happy birthday, Little Mister!

MaBunny October 14, 2009 at 9:23 AM  

Happy Birthday Mister Man!
That cake that Grandma baked looks perfectly acceptable:)

Anonymous October 14, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

Happy Birthday, Mister Man!!

septembermom October 14, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

Happy Birthday Mister Man! Great pictures and the cake looks yummy :) My oldest turns 13 this February. Yikes! Where did that time go?

Debbie October 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

There's nothing better than a grateful child! Good work:)

Angela October 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

Happy Birthday to your big boy! I love the cake disclaimer, too! Too funny. My grandmother used to make all the birthday cakes for all our family. Now, we all make her recipe. There is still nothing in the world to me like her cooked chocolate icing. Sooooo yummy. It's really a candy, I guess, as it is a cooked sugar base. Plus butter. And chocolate.

Okay, I digress! Happy birthday Mister Man!

Unknown October 14, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

Happy Birthday Mr Man!

Hyacynth October 14, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

That's right -- they will always be our babies!! Happy birthday to him. :)

Tara R. October 14, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

My baby girl turned 20 (years!) in August, and my little man is now a good four inches taller than me at 16yo.

Happy Birthday to your little man. 20 will be here before you know it, enjoy all the milestones... it's never boring.

Pop and Ice October 14, 2009 at 9:36 PM  

Oooh, I so want birthday cake RIGHT NOW! However, baking will have to wait until tomorrow.

Happy Birthday Mister Man!

Melisa Wells October 14, 2009 at 9:40 PM  

Happy Birthday to Mister Man! He IS getting huge! :)

Enjoy it while he's still on this side of puberty!

Michelle October 14, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

Unknown Mami - Thanks. He's loving being six.

Laura - That's exactly it. His little boyness is really on its way out. *sigh*

WeaselMomma - Absolutely. And I do still get the occasional request to "put me to bed the way you did when I was a baby" - which is so hilarious seeing him try to tuck up into my arms as I carry him.

Tam - I'm with you. I so want them to have good memories. And thanks -- even though he does need a haircut. Badly.

Karen - I did that earlier this year. I totally thought I was already umm. Never mind. Just suffice it to say I thought I was a year older than I was for months.

Marcy - Oh it isn't unacceptable. It's just not the cake with strawberries in it and chocolate frosting that he requested. That's my Friday project for his birthday party.

Shelly - Thanks :)

Kelly - 13? Ok, I've got no complaints. I KNOW now I'm not going to be ready for 13. Good luck!

Debbie - It's Legos -- who wouldn't be grateful? But yeah, that did set my heart to singing....

Angela - Oooo I do a cooked chocolate frosting, too. It's like fudge on the cake and sooooo good. And yes, I'll be making it this weekend for his party!

Megryansmom - Thanks :)

Hyacynth - You figured it out much earlier than I did, I think. At least you still HAVE a true baby.

Tara - I'm already estimating how many years before he's taller than me -- and I'm not short. He's chest level now. 20 is gonna be a hard year, too, I think.

Carol Lynn - Baking? Eh, all you need to do is just stop at the grocery store's bakery, right? ;)

Melisa - You had to toss that last bit in there, didn't you? There is a girl in his kindergarten class who's almost as tall as him though -- although I wonder if she isn't almost seven.

Cookie October 16, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

Happy (belated) birthday!
6 is a very important one!

Anonymous October 16, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Awww . . . Happy (Belated) Birthday to your Mister Man! I have to admit that I am kind-of enjoying my kiddos getting bigger - I love seeing them learn new things and develop into little people.

And I feel the same way about my own birthdays!

Michelle October 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

Cookie - Thanks, and yeah... it is an important one, isn't it?

Nichole - It is fun seeing them get bigger, and I've enjoyed it. This one just hit me that the getting bigger is REAL. And NOW.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP