Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes - Tasty Tuesday

I know, I know... it's not Tuesday.  I bet you thought I forgot about posting my usual Tuesday recipe.  Believe me, I tried.  Unfortunately, I had a stomach bug, and writing about food was painful - literally.  Fortunately, I'm feeling at least moderately better today, so I still get my post up.

This week is another focus on sweet treats.  I'm grateful that Mister Man's school doesn't only still allow students to bring in birthday treats, but the treats can be homemade.  I know this is becoming more and more rare and that there are plenty of people who have an issue with it, but we don't do sweets often, so I'm fine with it.

This year, he told me that he didn't care what kind of cupcakes I made for school "because they're always yummy, Mommy."  And he'd already put in a special request for apple cupcakes for his birthday party.  And apparently that's another recipe I need to post -  they were awesome, although some of the eight and nine year olds' palates weren't quite ready for them.

So what did I do for school?  I made chocolate chip cookie cupcakes - the best of both worlds!

chocolate chip cookie cupcakes just baked

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1/2 c butter
1 1/4 c brown sugar, separated
1 t vanilla, separated,
2 eggs
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c flour
1 c chocolate chips

Directions:
In a bowl, beat together the butter and 3/4 c of the brown sugar until it is lightened in color and fluffy.  Add one egg and 1/2 t of vanilla, and beat again for another minute.  Add the baking soda and salt and mix again.  Add the flour and stir until just combined.  This will be much thicker than your usual cupcake batter, but you did it right - don't worry!


Set up your cupcake tins with liners, and fill each liner about half full of the cupcake batter.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.  While these are baking, start the chocolate chip cookie topping.

In another bowl (or the same one if you're feeling like washing fewer dishes), mix together the last 1/2 cup of brown sugar, the second egg, and a pinch of salt.  Beat at high speed until it's formed almost a meringue.  This will take a few minutes, and it will be very runny.

The batter will be light and fluffy and very thin

Stir in the chocolate chips and other 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.  When the cupcakes have finished their 15 minutes in the oven, turn the oven up to 425 degrees.  Spoon a dollop of the topping onto each cupcake.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes ready for second bake

Bake the cupcakes at 425 for another 10 minutes.  Let the cupcakes cool in the pan before frosting.  When you frost them, keep in mind that the topping really is like a meringue and will crack if you put too much pressure on it.  Instead, pipe frosting on, or do a ganache that is really liquidy when you apply it to keep it from ruining your cupcakes.
Chocolate ganache topped chocolate chip cookie cupcakes

Yum!

Enjoy this and more with Blessed With Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.  Rachel from A Southern Fairytale has an awesome Mouthwatering Monday linkup that I participate in, too.

7 comments:

Andrea November 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM  

Argh! I knew I forgot an ingredient yesterday! FLour! I saw a small bag and it was on the endcap and so I skipped by it and forgot the big bag. Boo. I think I only have bread flour. Anyway - this recipe looks good and easy! I'm lovin' it! :>

Andrea November 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM  

p.s. Can I pin it? Let me know!

Michelle November 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM  

Andrea - YES you can pin this (or anything). I actually did already if you want to repin: http://pinterest.com/pin/261842165806656592/ but oh bummer about the flour!

kim/TheMakerMom November 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM  

Do you have a picture that show a cross-section from a finished cupcake? I'm curious.

Pat November 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM  

These look and sound utterly melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Unique, too!

Sandra November 23, 2012 at 1:51 PM  

Very interesting concept, Michelle! I love that you invent your own wheel with your Tasty Tuesday recipes. I don't usually do it, but I am trying to concoct a chocolate chip/marshmallow cookie myself. I hope you are feeling better now!

Michelle November 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM  

Kim - Unfortunately, we needed all of them for Mister Man's class party, so I don't have a cross section. The next time I make them I'll share one for you.

Pat - They were awesome. Like a cookie. But a cupcake. It's the best of both worlds!

Sandra - Thanks, I am feeling better finally. Yesterday was the first real meal I ate in a week. I made s'mores cookies last year that are chocolate and marshmallow that were awesome. Let me know if you want that one and you can use it as a base.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP