Friday, October 12, 2012

Wrong Closet

Yesterday was Mister Man's birthday.  He turned 9 on 10/11/12.  It was pretty cool, I thought - and yes, the post next Tuesday will be the recipe for the cherry cake with fudge filling and triple berry frosting I made.  Yum.

As we went through the presents, Mister Man was excited.  He got all sorts of fun things from my parents (and two books on Greek mythology from us that he loved).  My mom is never one to let one child have the spotlight and  the other child remain to the side, so much like we had the "birthday sister" when I was growing up, she made sure to have a present for Little Miss, though at least it wasn't wrapped.

As Mister Man worked his way down the pile (my parents tend to go overboard), her present became visible, and she loves her new Halloween shirt.

Halloween shirt from my parents

Mister Man got to his last box, and he soundly denounced it as "clothes."  He opened it up, and he was right - it was clothing.  He held it up to show us, and my husband and I looked at each other....

This is not a boy's shirt

Personally, I noticed the hot pink on the inside of the collar and around the "Boo!" first.  My husband noticed the sequins first.  We both noticed that the cut of the shirt is a girl cut.  My mom still didn't understand.  She bought a black shirt.  Why wouldn't it be for boys?

It was only when I asked her if she had moved from the girl department before finding this that it really dawned on her.  Remember the nursery rhyme rewrites?  She's losing it.

And that black shirt?  Well, Little Miss two Halloween shirts now.

9 comments:

Tara R. October 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM  

It's the thought, right?

Guavalicious October 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM  

At least she admitted she was wrong. My mom would NEVER admit she's wrong and force the kid to wear it. Crazy parents.

Just Jen October 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM  

Whoops!!! I hope your daughter enjoys both of her shirts!!

Mom October 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM  

Poor guy! I am sure your mom will make up for it. :)

Michelle October 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM  

Tara - It's totally the thought. And he's not into clothes, so he was fine with it. The whole thing just made me giggle.

Kate - It was hard for her, I think. But yes, she had the grace to admit she was wrong. The things she HAS forced the wee ones to wear though....

Jen - She does. She's actually wearing the pink one today. And in a couple years, the black one will fit her, too :)

Stephanie - He was fine. He was more excited about the Legos he got and his walking stick. But make up for it? Yeah, she absolutely will. The sky's the limit when it comes to them!

Sandra October 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM  

I'm giggling, too. :) yay for two shirts for Little Miss!

Pat October 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM  

That reminded me of a scene in "A Christmas Story" when the older boy opened his Christmas present from his aunt and it was a pink bunny costume. His parents insisted that he try it on and then they all laughed hysterically at him as he stood morosely on the stairs. Have you seen that movie (made in 1983)? We have that DVD and still watch it occasionally and laugh hysterically through most of it.

Brandie October 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM  

Happy birthday!
FTR: my son has a shirt from the girls department of his own choosing. It was angry birds. He liked it. So I went with it LOL! ;-)

Michelle October 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM  

Sandra - You've got to love it... She tried to wear the 10/12 on Friday. It was SO big and she was so mad when I made her take if off :)

Pat - I know the movie. It's my husband's favorite, and at his parents' house, it's on all 24 hours that it runs. Whee.

Brandie - It's not the "from the girls section" that I mind. It's the sequins and hot pink that's the issue - especially for him since he already sort of sticks out. It's just one more burden he doesn't need.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP