Tuesday, October 23, 2012

S'mores Bars - Tasty Tuesday!

This past week was teacher conferences.  Our PTO provides dinner for the staff both nights of conferences, knowing that they're constantly running.  They absolutely appreciate it, and they adore that we make everything homemade for them rather than catering it.  I signed up to bring a dessert and wanted to bring something creative.  There are always a ton of brownies and cakes.  So I decided to make s'mores bars.

I had no idea how I was going to do it, but I had marshmallows, chocolate, and tons of graham crackers in my house, so there had to be a way, right?  I finally decided to do a takeoff of a shortbread bar recipe, and my luck held - it worked.

I brought a sample to a friend before conferences, and she ate the whole thing in one sitting.  After conferences, there were no leftovers even though desserts are usually overboard.  I made them again to bring to the Chicago Food Swap this past weekend.  My husband requested that I just trade with myself.  And they went over nicely at the food swap, too.  Even Mister Man liked them.  This was his reaction to them after he'd finished his sample.

Licking the plate clean after s'mores bars

S'mores Bars

Ingredients:
3/4 c butter at room temperature
2/3 c sugar
1 egg at room temperature
1 t vanilla
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
20 graham crackers
1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c chocolate chips
20-25 large marshmallows

Directions:
Crush your graham crackers.  I love pulsing them in my blender, because it's easy and not messy.  I've found that the best way is to break the graham crackers in their quarters and do half, pulsing until they're just about crushed, then adding the other half and proceeding the same way.  Otherwise, that large bag and a rolling pin or can works well, too - and helps get rid of frustration.

Use the food processor to crush graham crackers for s'mores bars

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  It doesn't get light and fluffy if the butter is cold, so make sure it's at room temperature.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat again. until well combined.  Add the baking powder and mix once again.

Add the graham crackers and flour and stir until just combined.  Grease a 9x13 pan and put the graham cracker mixture into the pan, reserving around a cup or a little more for a topping.  This is a press with your fingers exercise.  I tried to be dainty and use my spatula, but it didn't work.

Pat the crust into place for your s'mores bars

Pour the chocolate chips over the crust into a nice, even layer.  You can use chocolate bars (it takes about 7), but the chips taste better and are cheaper.  The marshmallows are the next layer.  Take the marshmallow in your fingertips and use your other fingertips to twist and pull it apart so you have two non-smushed marshmallow halves.  Place the halves sticky side down in rows over the chocolate.  I did five halves per row, but do what works for you.  Crumble the last of the graham cracker mixture over top that, and voila!

The s'mores bars are ready to bake now

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.  Let them cool fully before cutting.  By using the large marshmallows instead of mini-marshmallows, you've given yourself room to cut without your knife getting stuck in marshmallow and the topping pulling off.  See?  I'm thinking!

S'mores bars are done when the marshmallows are puffy and golden


Once they're ready, you can serve them at room temperature and store them in a sealed container for three or so days.  If they last that long....

S'mores bar ready to eat

Mister Man voluntarily got a fork for his s'mores bars
Mister Man decided he needed a fork to eat these.  Smart kid.

Enjoy this and more with Blessed With Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.  Rachel from A Southern Fairytale has an awesome Mouthwatering Monday linkup that I participate in, too.

6 comments:

Tara R. October 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM  

Thank you for sharing this recipe. It looks amazing.

Sandra October 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM  

Oh, this is definitely a must-try recipe for me. I LOVE s'mores. You are sending your recipe, right? I'm sure this was one of the foods the teachers liked so much that they're asking for the recipe!! :)

Robyn Wright of Robyns.World October 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM  

Looks yummy! I just pinned it!

Michelle October 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM  

Tara - It's so easy and so good. The s'mores bars were GONE at conferences. I heard they were good ;)

Sandra - Yes, my recipe was included in the email request. That's part of why I posted it! It was a fun twist on the usual s'mores recipe, and I'm so glad it worked on my first try.

Robyn - It's definitely yummy, and thank you for pinning! I need to get my buttons up. :s

Sandra October 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM  

I'm pinning this, too. Need to go find you.

Michelle October 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM  

Sandra - This is the pin I put up if you want to take the easy way out and repin: http://pinterest.com/pin/261842165806464750/

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP