Friday, August 31, 2012

The Tooth Fairy Ran Out Of Money

You know how children are somehow your genetic miniatures even in ways that shouldn't be genetic?  The first time Mister Man had ice cream, he picked up the bowl when it was empty and proceeded to lick it clean.  I swear he'd never seen me do that, but yet he somehow innately knew that when something's that awesome, you don't let a drop go to waste.

And then there's Little Miss.  Mister Man will let a tooth be loose forever before it finally falls out when there's barely anything left holding it on, simply because he's afraid of the pain - or he has to have me pull it because there's another tooth growing behind it.  Little Miss?  Not so much.  Suddenly late this spring, her two front teeth were gone.  You saw how I had to fake our Christmas card early, right?

I thought we were done with losing teeth for awhile.  And then in the middle of August, Little Miss announced that she had just lost another tooth.  None of us even knew it was loose.  Just like me, the second she got a loose tooth, she worked it until it fell out.  I now had a peg tooth daughter.

The Tooth Fairy's Dream

I asked if she had any more teeth loose.  She assured me she didn't, and I settled in to have at least a few weeks where I wouldn't have to worry about another tooth popping out.

The night before school started, Little Miss came downstairs with another tooth in her hand.  I stared at her in disbelief, but she truly had another hole where a tooth should be.  We are, by the way, hiring her out as a human jack o'lantern this Halloween if anyone needs one.

I sent her upstairs to put the tooth under her pillow in the special bag we have, as she does each time.  And then we all went to bed.  She said nothing the next morning, and it took me another day before I realized that the Tooth Fairy had not come.

As soon as she headed off to school, I sped upstairs to check on the status of her tooth.  I lifted the pillow only to find ... nothing.  There was no tooth.  I asked her when she got home what had happened, and she simply shrugged.  That's when I found out that she hadn't put her tiny little baby incisor into anything but instead just laid it under her pillow.

The next day, I did a thorough scouring of her room.

Sleep with everything on your bed... somehow

What can I say?  The girl likes to sleep with her toys.  All of them (including the cute cat).  I was lucky that she didn't have her rubber duck collection or Toy Story toys in bed with her, as she usually does.  Unfortunately, under no mattress, nor tucked behind no toy, nor rattling inside no mattress was a tooth found.

So now what?  The tooth is gone.  And the Tooth Fairy rule is that there has to be a tooth for an exchange, right?  The wee ones decided that Little Miss simply lost her teeth too fast and she ran out of money.  What's your theory?

14 comments:

Tara R. August 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM  

If the wee ones came up with the theory, I'd say go with that until you find the tooth.

Sandra September 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM  

I agree with Tara. And I think it's great that Little Miss didn't freak out about it, but only 'shrugged'. Pretty awesome, if you ask me. She might just be able to let this one go!

Claudya Martinez September 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM  

The tooth fairy was bound to run out of money at some point. Times are tough for everyone and fairies are no exception.

Pat September 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM  

Lol--I agree...times are hard for the tooth fairy, just as it is for everyone these days. Next time, I'm sure she'll be careful to put her tooth into the little bag.

Michelle September 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM  

Tara - I've looked everywhere. I have a feeling the cats might have eaten it, and I'm NOT going looking again ;)

Sandra - She isn't really a freak out kind of girl, thankfully. She hasn't mentioned it since. Let's hope she doesn't!

Unknown Mami - YES, that's exactly it. Awesome theory.

Pat - I'm sure she will. She actually announced this morning that she has TWO more loose. Egads. And then she mentioned that she was concerned that two teeth wouldn't fit into her tooth box at the same time, as she's working on getting them both out at school today. Hold me!

Not a Perfect Mom September 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM  

Blake swallowed his first two teeth and had to write a note to the fairy....but we've never had a lost tooth...but I don't think my kids would be okay with her not coming at all...maybe a day late, but not coming? They would flip out

Anonymous September 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM  

Go with that theory! No tooth, no money :)the wee ones are too cute!

Michelle September 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM  

Holly - I am so intrigued by him swallowing a tooth. I've always wondered how that happens, but again I'm one who worries my tooth out the first day it's loose :)

Patty - Yep, that's it exactly!

tiarastantrums September 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM  

oh my son is like your son - the tooth will be loose FOREVER! We seriously had to have the dentist pull 8 teeth out of his mouth thus far b/c he wouldn't let anyone near him! My daughter - she opens wide and lets me yank!

Betsie September 7, 2012 at 8:20 AM  

My kids haven't started losing teeth yet, but I'm already nervous - my daughter is such a light sleeper, I'm sure I'll be caught in the act! (She's also the type who would FREAK if the tooth fairy didn't come, so I'm jealous of your much more chill kid!) :)

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins September 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM  

I dunno...my kids would DEFINITELY notice if the tooth fairy didn't show, but I think that Mr. T. Fairy might make a surprise stop. :)

Emily September 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM  

That cat looks guilty to me

Michelle September 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM  

Teresa - Wow. I refuse to pay the dentist to do it, though we've come close a few times. Mister Man finally let me garrote his tooth with dental floss and found that not painful, so that was a problem solved. Yikes!

Betsie - My daughter is a super light sleeper, too, but... somehow it works. Maybe she'll have her tooth hanging in a box outside her door or something like that?

Colleen - I know. I can't believe that it's gone by the wayside. I'm thinking the fact that school started the next day might have had something to do with it. Go fig.

Emily - That's exactly my thought. Doesn't he though? It's definitely a cat ate the canary smile on his face, don't you think?

Toni September 14, 2012 at 6:25 AM  

We were horrible with the whole tooth fairy thing. I think we forgot every single time. We had every excuse in the book...including change thrown across the hallway because "the dog must have scared her and she dropped everything!" I'm glad that's all over. lol

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP