Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sweet Tomato Chicken - Tasty Tuesday!

So it's back to school.  That means that I now have to be even better about having meals planned out and started while the wee ones are at school - not because we're so much more busy now, after all, the wee ones' activities didn't stop during the summer, but because I need something to put in lunches the next day.

This summer I somehow discovered that Mister Man really loves plain baked chicken (he'll even eat it with some pepper,  yay!) with marinara sauce over it.  Go figure - this from my sauce hating child who thinks tomatoes were put on this earth as a form of cruel torture for him.  And no, I'm not joking.  This is called progress, people.

So last week?  I pushed my luck a little with a chicken crock pot dish on the first day of school because I was going to have to leave the house by one and not get home until after tae kwon do with not one but two starving children.  Whee.

Fortunately?  It turned out awesome.  And yes, it went in the lunchbox the next day, devoured by both the wee ones.  Phew!  And yes, I know the ingredients are a little unusual.  I accept that.  Just trust me that they turn out awesome.

Kid friendly awesome crock pot chicken recipe

Sweet Tomato Chicken

Ingredients:
4-5 decent size pieces of chicken, bone in or not is your choice
1/2 c soy sauce
1/3 c brown sugar
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
1/2 t pepper
1 T tomato paste

Directions:
Place the diced tomatoes in a crock pot.  Mince the garlic and add it, along with the pepper, soy sauce, brown sugar, and tomato paste.  If you're Mister Man and do truly believe that tomatoes are a cruel trick Mother Nature is playing on you, go ahead and puree them at this point.  If not, leave them in chunks to add some more texture to the sauce later and instead just stir the mixture until fully combined.

Puree the sauce if you have a tomato hater

Add the chicken and cook on low 4-6 hours.  Go ahead and cook up some rice so it's ready to serve with your chicken.  After it's fully cooked, it will be falling apart, which is just what you want.  Use tongs to break it up, then use a slotted spoon to scoop it out to serve over that rice.  Add as much or as little sauce atop this as you like.

Serve it with a green salad, and this is a perfect weeknight meal.  Yum.

Enjoy this and more with Blessed With Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

3 comments:

Pat August 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM  

I love crock pot meals; this one sounds easy and delicious. My husband has a sweet tooth, so I know he'd love this.

Michelle August 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM  

Pat - I adore the crock pot, too. The chicken isn't super sweet. The tomatoes and soy (and garlic) cut that, but it's not your typical tomato sauce. It's been well received here so far!

Sandra September 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM  

Judging by the ingredients, this chicken ought to be very tasty! Just add raw chicken pieces to the crockpot, right?

Now do you pack hot lunches in thermos jars for the wee ones? DD now has lunch at 1 PM, which is so late that I think the food would be lukewarm at best when she gets to it. I'm trying to figure out what to do for colder weather and when she wants hot lunches from home! Any advice?

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP