Thursday, August 30, 2012

My Favorite Teachers Challenged Me. Did Yours?

It's Thursday, so it's time for another #VlogMom prompt, right?  This week, we're sort of sticking with the back to school theme.  I've written already about how I'm thrilled with the teachers that Mister Man has this year.  And I had some pretty special teachers myself.

This week's VlogMom prompt from Joyce Brewer of Mommy Talk Show is:

Who was your favorite teacher growing up, and why?



I'd love to hear about your favorite teacher, so tell me below!

Oh, and bonus points if you can find where my cat starts meowing in the video.  They won't leave me alone today, so I finally gave up.  He's sitting on my lap as I type and during the video was crouched next to me, demanding that I pet him.  Or else.



2 comments:

Pat September 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM  

Even though I ended up majoring in math in college (only because I am a really, really slow reader), I liked all of my English teachers a lot because of their passion for language and literature. Mr. Ames, my 12th grade Honors English teacher (that was in 1965-66, so there was no such thing as AP classes), instilled in me a love for 16th- & 17th- century British poets, because that was his love. He gave extra credit for memorizing various poems, such as MacBeth's soliloquy on Lady MacBeth's death, and John Milton's introduction to "Paradise Lost." I still have all 7 or 8(?) of those poems back in the recesses of my memory. To this day, I still enjoy memorizing passages, but now it's more often long Bible passages (the book of James & the book of Titus, for example). I loved Mr. Lardy, 11th-grade English, because he was funny and lovable, and we had great discussions in his class.

I had awful, boring history teachers, so I never developed a love for history.

Pat September 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM  

Oh, one more thing about Mr. Ames. I recall him saying, after giving the extra credit assignment of memorizing various poems (chosen by him), "Some day you'll be at a cocktail party and you'll be able to quote a line from one of these poems and you'll impress everyone." Lol! I've never actually done that, quoted something at a party, except for a get together with close friends or family once or twice. It is fun to have those quotes handy once in awhile!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP