Friday, August 24, 2012

I'm Crying Today - In A Good Way

I haven't written much about Mister Man's school change.  I'm still frustrated about a number of things at the old school, but I'm so glad we moved him before the end of the year last year.  He's now at the same school as Little Miss (whoo hoo, first time ever they've been in the same school at the same time and they get to ride the bus!), and it's been good so far.

The "so far" is what I'm worried about, of course.  It's so easy for the early part of school to work because everyone gives the kids a little leeway.  The things that grate on nerves aren't yet grating on nerves.  And Mister Man isn't fully comfortable, so he's on his very best behavior.

I wrote earlier this week about the special needs introduction letter "Mister Man" wrote to his teacher explaining his strengths and weaknesses and sharing strategies that we know work well for him.  It was sprinkled with pictures, and the hope is to have them understand him better so that the year is smoother for everyone.

The first day, I picked the wee ones up from school because Mister Man had tae kwon do.  His teacher stopped me in the hall and told me he had a wonderful day.  She said he was "the sweetest kid, and he got along so well with all the other students, too."  Phew.  Those are the things that ease a little of the weight from my shoulders.

Happy boy

Yesterday afternoon, I received an email from the art teacher.  Apparently the social worker shared the letter I had prepared with the specials teachers, as well - something I appreciate.  I read it while sitting in the car in a parking lot while running errands.  Whenever I see an email from the school, I always have to read it immediately so that I can fully process it before the wee ones get home.

Dear Michelle,
A copy of Mister Man's letter was in my mailbox. You are a wonderful Mommy to help Mister Man learn to advocate for himself and know that although he doesn't look exactly like the other kids in the crowd, he is the beautiful person that God made him to be. I have a son like that too.
You can rest assured that here, at New School, we will love your babies no matter what. They will be taken care of with love and respect and dignity. In fact, we often love the quirky ones best.
I know that Mister Man had a hard time in my overfull summer school class a few years back, although he did make strides just during that short time. I have been working to make sure he knows that I think he is awesome just as he is. I try to let all my students know that the art studio is a safe place where they will be listened to any time.
Thank You, and I am completely psyched for a GREAT year!
Mrs. Art Teacher
Now that?  That brings tears to my eyes.  Completely unsolicited.  She had to go look up my contact information to send this.  They care.  And they get my kid here.  No wonder the end of the year for him was so smooth and peaceful and trouble free.

I heaved another sigh of relief, called my mom to read this to her, and then I finished my errands for the day with a smile on my face.

10 comments:

Tara R. August 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM  

That is a wonderful response from the art teacher. I hope Mister Man has his best school year yet. Good luck to him and your daughter.

Sandra August 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM  

It really means a lot when a teacher goes OUT OF HER WAY to do something like this. Well, it all started with your Introduction Letter. But that it was sent to all the specials teachers was great. And that Mrs. Art Teacher responded with this kind email is really something else! I've said it many times already--and will continue to--but I LOVE our school. (I was looking forward to reading this post!)

Christina August 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM  

That's awesome that she took the time to make sure you got that note. I think there's a very strong chance he'll have a much better year this year at his new school. Yay for caring, understanding teachers!

Anonymous August 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM  

This is the way our education system should work! I am so happy for you and Mister Man. What a beautiful thing to have him in the school that is right for him.

He's lucky to have such a smart and dedicated Mom!

Pat August 27, 2012 at 6:47 PM  

Wow, that is a great note from the art teacher. She sounds like a wonderful, sweet, caring person, and it's so cool that she already knows him from the past. It sounds like you hit the jackpot when it comes to Mr. Man's education this year. My eyes even started to get a bit teary reading her letter. I think he's going to have a good year.

I can't find my blog August 31, 2012 at 12:16 AM  

I love that! Especially that she had to look up your contact info. LOVE THAT!

Lisa Hanneman August 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM  

What an awesome teacher! Hope this year continues on a great path.

Emily August 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM  

Awww..that's just heart-warming

Kim Moldofsky September 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM  

That brought tears to my eyes, too. How nice of her to reach out and how great that his teacher shared the letter so widely. Best wishes for the year ahead!

Michelle September 4, 2012 at 1:12 PM  

Tara - Wasn't it? It was completely unsolicited and just... another sign that we're so in the right place!

Sandra - It so means a lot, and the teachers at our school? They rock. But you know that already.

Christina - Isn't it though? So far this year has been great, and I'm so happy that we're here. All of us.

Patty - It really is, but too often this isn't what happens. We're truly lucky.

Pat - That is exactly the right description for her. He's having a great year (other than not remembering to bring home homework or his assignment notebook or ... something almost every day!).

Kendra - Yep. It wasn't exactly something that was a no brainer for her to do, but I love it.

Lisa - Me, too! Back to school night is tomorrow, and I can't wait to see what we hear about :)

Emily - Yep. My heart is definitely warm right now!

Kim - Yep. It was the social worker who passed it along, and I love that he did. I've gotten great feedback. I have such a weight off my shoulders now.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP