Thursday, February 9, 2012

Proof That I Need More Sleep

I get into a really bad habit where I have a ton that needs to be done so I stay up late working on it. Then the alarm goes off in the morning, and I'm still tired. I manage to get through the day, but I'm slightly less productive, so that's more work to do after the wee ones go to bed. Generally, this works out alright, even though I'm one of those people who really does best with more than eight hours of sleep.

Every once in awhile, this habit catches up with me and my body - or maybe my brain - screams at me that I need to get some more sleep. This week? Yeah... I need some more sleep.

When I woke up Wednesday, I wanted to go back to bed, but I didn't. Instead I got up and got the wee ones ready for school. I fixed their breakfast, got out their vitamins, packed their lunches, and we headed out the door.

After dropping the wee ones at their respective schools, I headed to the gym as I do most days. Even when I'm tired and can't do my full workout, I can at least do something, I decided awhile ago. I popped into the locker room and started grabbing my clothes to change. I had just done wash and was happy that - tired as I was - I remembered to grab my workout gear before I left the house. So of the two items that were in my clean laundry, which do you suppose made it into my gym bag?



If you guessed the black cami that I also happened to have washed that day, you'd be right. The only good thing is that I always have an extra of each item in my bag at all times just in case - why yes, I do know myself well. They aren't my favorites, but they'll do. After my workout, I reached into my bag to get my towel so I could shower. Ummm, no towel. Why? Because my oh so responsible self had folded it up and put it away instead of placing it into my gym bag where I needed it. Oops.

And when I picked up Mister Man from school? Well, I got a little bit of an earful from him - well-deserved, too. I had sent him Little Miss's lunch instead of his own. And that's a problem. She has to have a dairy free lunch, and he won't do sauces or hummus or the like because of textural issues. Instead of sending them nearly identical lunches that day, I'd sent her dairy free pizza, heavy on the sauce, and celery sticks with red pepper hummus. Interestingly, I'd checked the containers before I slipped it into their lunchboxes to be sure I gave them the right ones, but I didn't open the containers to check to see that I'd put the right food into the right containers. Oops.

I didn't listen, in case you're wondering. My gym issues? I forgot the towel. Again. And worse? When I did remember the towel, I closed my locker and locked it. It wasn't until after my shower when I was standing there in my towel trying to unlock it that I realized I hadn't changed the combination before locking it, so I had no way to get in. My gym nightmare finally came true.

Tonight? I'm going to bed as soon as the wee ones do!

8 comments:

Carmen February 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM  

Sounds like you and I live similar lives. Get some sleep, already!

Tami February 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM  

I need a lot of sleep too. I am miserable if I don't. I am temporarily on a sleep medication because I am a light sleeper and my husbands loud snoring wakes me. Todd is going for a sleep apnea study next week. I hope this will help his snoring, so I can get off the medication.

Heather February 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM  

Oh my word. You def need some sleep. I am the same way- I burn the candle at both ends, and then all of a sudden, I crash & burn & make those same silly mistakes! Get some sleep tonight! :)

Lisa Hanneman February 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM  

Just reading this makes me realize I should go to sleep. And that's where I'm headed right now... Thanks for the nudge.

Gina February 10, 2012 at 8:35 AM  

And you're not telling us if you had to walk nearly naked through the gym to get help? Or is someone stationed in there for just such a problem?

Pat February 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM  

Hmmm--It sounds like those keyless locks are not all that great! It's amazing how much lack of sleep affects our cognitive abilities. I feel for you because I remember those days when my kids were very young and I felt tired most of the time, it seemed like. It's poignant when one becomes an empty-nester, but the work load certainly decreases a lot!

Michelle February 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM  

Carmen - I fully believe that much of our lives are parallel. And I am still working on that sleep thing. Last night, I couldn't sleep to save my life.

Tami - Ohhhh that's rough. My husband will have periods where he snores a lot and wakes me up and my sleep really suffers. Here's hoping you get some answers quickly!

Heather - That's exactly it. I'm working on getting sleep again tonight, too.

Lisa - Hey, happy to help. I definitely know I'm not the only one!

Gina - OH. Ummm no. That would be the true and complete nightmare. Fortunately there was a very nice woman there who was drying her hair who saved me the shame.

Pat - They're great in some ways but ohhhh how I've been waiting for this day ;) I definitely need my sleep.

Sandra February 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM  

So I've been having quite a few 'senior moments' lately, and wondering why. Well, your post just reminded me that I have not been going to bed on time and losing some much needed sleep! It's just so hard to relinquish what little me-time I have after the kids go off to bed... Like now... Okay, lights out soon! You get some rest, too.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP