Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wordless Wednesday: White Belt

I wrote last month about how Mister Man was struggling with his behavior associated with his autism. I was having a really bad day, but much of it was exemplified by his attempt to move up to the "big kid" class at Tae Kwon Do.

It turns out that we got a chance to try it out for the remainder of January to see how he did once he got more used to it - as he told me later that he was very excited and nervous. On February 1, the owner of the studio asked him if he wanted to have a white uniform, and he about passed out from happiness.

I officially have a white belt in the big kid class. Even better? At last night's class he earned his first white belt stripe (they do it only for white belts to help them know where and when they are progressing, with four stripes required before promotion is even a consideration).



6 comments:

Sandra February 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM  

Congratulations, Mister Man! Not that this necessarily "makes up for" your bad day those weeks ago, but I'm sure this made you and he both supremely happy. We'll take some downs, if we get some of these ups in life. But you guys worked so hard and deserve these ups!

I can't find my blog February 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM  

Awesome!~!!

Tami February 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM  

When Brandon was in Tae Kwon Do I took his belts, rolled them up and put them in a shadow box. I have five of his belts before he decided to do hockey instead of karate. The shadow boxes made a nice decoration in his room to remind him of his achievements.

Heather February 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM  

That is SO AWESOME! I am so excited for him and you! Congrats Mister Man!

Pat February 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM  

Oh, I am so happy for Mr. Man and for you, after all this time of agonizing. Congratulations to Mr. Man!!

Michelle February 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM  

Sandra - It doesn't make up for it, but it makes those days bearable. I know what you mean, and I'm so glad that he loves this even when it isn't easy!

Kendra - You got it, Chica!

Tami - Oh that's such a neat idea. Right now, he has his belts hanging through some of the wire part of his closet organizer, but I like that idea so much more. Thanks :)

Heather - Thanks. I'm excited to see him progress in something that is universally recognized and will require his work and focus. So proud.

Pat - Me, too. He's an awesome kid :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP