Wednesday, February 16, 2011

This Is *NOT* The Time For A Brain Fail

I recently joined a new gym. It's good because it's much closer to where I live and spend most of my time, making it more convenient to get to. It's newer, too, so it has some new fangled technology with the machines and such that make it extra fun to work out. Even better? It's half the price of my old gym.

One of the really cool things is that the lockers have combinations that you reset each time you lock the locker, meaning I don't have to carry an uncomfortable key with me everywhere. And I don't have to worry about losing said key.


Of course, I also no longer have a key. When I nervously mentioned this to my tour guide, she laughed and agreed that they have to come unlock lockers for people a few times a day because they forget the combination. It's no big deal, she reassured me.

My first day at the gym, I decided what my combination was going to be for every time I came to the gym. I wasn't going to be one of those people who needed help, ha! I calmly turned the four dials to my code, closed the door, turned the lock, and spun it to a random set of numbers. I was set.

I returned from my workout and went to my locker. Or wait, did I choose the locker next to it? Or on the other side? Uh-oh, I didn't look at what number locker I had. Yikes! Then I realized that there was only one locker that was in use and locked near where my locker had to be located. Panic averted.

I dialed in my code and hummed happily as I successfully opened the locker. I got out my shampoo and everything I needed for my shower, then proceeded to relock it with the same code. I took my shower and returned - now confident that I knew which locker was mine.

As I stood there dripping in my towel, I plugged in my code. And the locker didn't unlock. I jiggled it a bit, to no avail. I wondered if maybe I had it sideways, but no, that wasn't it. I tried again and again, but I was stuck.

I pondered the likelihood of sideways again. Was my code of 6394

6 3
9 4

Or was it

6 9
3 4

Maybe my hand slipped down naturally as I was thinking 6394 instead of going left to right like a book. I think I need a new code, one that won't allow for this type of confusion with the second and third numbers identical (6334, anyone?). But first, I need to get my locker open.

Ok, seriously? It would be bad enough if I had to walk out past all the exercising people to the front desk to ask them to unlock my locker. Doing it while dripping wet, shamefully tugging my towel to hide more? Ummmm not gonna happen. I took a deep breath and resolved to simply wait in the locker room until another woman entered, then beg her for assistance. It would be slightly less humiliating that way, right?

I began to rue the loss of my key. The key that told me where my locker was when I forgot because someone took "my" locker. The key that unequivocally opened the lock when I tried it. But no, my new fancy gym doesn't have keys.

I gave it one last college try, and amazingly, I felt the lock give a little bit. Maybe I didn't have the wrong code but instead had my gym bag wedged against the lock. I wiggled it and jiggled it and gave a huge sigh or relief and thanks to the heavens that I wasn't going to have to humiliate myself then and there - I could save it for another time.


I am also giving away a Progresso Souper You Debut gift pack here.

Oh, and while you're at it, I finally set up a Facebook Fan page for my blog (and corrected the link here - oops!). It's way overdue. Go like me on Facebook if you would so I can get an official username - once I get enough likes. You can also follow me on Twitter, too, if you're so inclined.

10 comments:

Unknown February 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM  

That was close... Why do the most embarrassing things always happen at the gym? That must be why I avoid them... ;)

Susie February 17, 2011 at 6:33 AM  

Don't you hate it when things like that happen?

Unknown February 17, 2011 at 7:27 AM  

*snicker*

I'm no laughing, no siree I am not.

*snicker*

You are so cute!

*snicker*

OK! I admit, I am laughing really hard.

*snicker*

Pat February 17, 2011 at 10:32 AM  

My short-term memory is getting so bad...I'd have to write down the number each time. But then I'd have to carry the pen and paper (or write it on my hand) with me throughout the workout. Or make an equation...e.g...6+3!=square root of 9 times 4. I'm such a nerd. For some reason I can remember the equation better than just the numbers 6394.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com February 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

Seriously, just do 1234. Nobody would suspect such a simple code.

Of course, now they will...

Glad you didn't have to walk around all nakey!

Tara R. February 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM  

I can't even remember my son's cell phone number and I dial it all the time. Give me a key any day.

Melisa Wells February 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM  

Wait a minute, there's no PHONE in the locker room? There must be, in case of emergencies! All you have to do is call the front desk!

Just an idea...

Michelle February 17, 2011 at 8:12 PM  

Cris - Ohhhh I don't know that ALL the most embarrassing things happen at the gym. I've managed to have my share of embarrassing incidents all over the place :)

Susie - Ummmm yeah. Completely!

Megryansmom - Gee, thanks. I appreciate the support.

Pat - But you could make it whatever number you want - your birth month and year or your phone # (last 4 digits) or anything. And I totally get the equation thing. It works for me!

Tracey - Nope, no one. I'm not telling you my parents' alarm code. The guy installing it years ago looked at my parents like they were nuts or stupid, but ... then he admitted that no one had ever had a code like that before.

Tara - I would sorta like they key. To be honest, I never even came close to losing that one - somehow!

Melisa - Ummm nope. It's a REALLY small gym. Like when there were 14 people in the gym this morning at the *same* time, it was "crowded" because there aren't that many people there usually. AND someone was using *my* locker.

septembermom February 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM  

In this area, we are very alike. What is happening with my memory these days? I need to sleep more :)

Michelle February 20, 2011 at 11:36 PM  

Kelly - Oh good idea. Ummm which is why it's 11:36 and I'm still awake. Going to bed now. That'll help my memory, right?

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP