Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wordless Wednesday - Calgon, Take Me Away

I'm so proud of Mister Man for making it to his white belt in tae kwon do - especially after the initial issues we had in class. He's pretty proud, too. After his first official class, he was presented with his uniform. He tried it on, and despite the suggestions from both me and the owner of the dojo that he take off his uniform after trying it on, he chose to wear it home.

When I took a look at it that night, it looked like this:


Why yes, he is actually that talented. No worries, though. That's what Oxyclean and Tide Stain Release are for, right? No, apparently this is some super fabric that absorbs stains like a sponge then refuses to let them go. Uh-oh.

I washed the uniform again on Monday - five classes into him wearing it - and again, not all the stains came out.


And this one? I don't even know what he was around that is that shade of yellow. And this is on the back, too. How does he do it?!


And in case you're wondering, this is one of the main reasons we wear white as little as possible. I have another Mass uniform shirt that I've given up on getting clean that's going into the trash today, too.

Calgon, take me away!

8 comments:

Kaye February 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM  

White is a real stinker to keep white, I don't care how much bleach you use.

Heather February 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM  

Nothing is more annoying than trying to keep white clean. Seriously. Or actually, off white. I have this adorable off white shirt I got at Old Navy that I've only gotten to wear ONCE because I spilled coffee on it the first day I wore it, shouted it and washed it almost immediately and there is still a stain :(

Pat February 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM  

Oh, bummer! Have you tried one of those CLOROX Bleach Pens? I got mine several years ago and it works pretty well, especially if you don't delay using it for too long. It's about 6 inches long, blue, kind of like a really fat marker pen. I haven't looked for one recently, so I don't know if they're still on the market. I realize that bleach deteriorates fabric, but if you're desperate,...

Tami February 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM  

I went thru I don't know how many white baseball pants with Zachary. It is so much eaiser just to get a new pair.

Jenn M February 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM  

I hate white. It's like a stain waiting to happen!!

Congrats for your son though, very cool!

Sandra February 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM  

The fact that I have a white winter coat is just killing the OCD in me. (It looks real good when you don't see the stains; it's in the washer as I type this). The uniform has probably already kissed goodbye its all white days. Good luck (said in the most sympathetic way possible). =)

Tara R. February 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM  

As a former martial arts instructor, I can tell you kids can get some intriguing mystery stains on their uniforms. I always kept two uniforms. One for every day training, and a second just for testings and tournaments.

Michelle February 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM  

Kaye - I know... especially with small children. Ok, children of any age - which then includes my husband ;)

Heather - Ohhhh I HATE it when that happens. I have clothes that I've ruined the first time I've worn them, too. Boo.

Pat - I haven't, but that's a good idea. His TKD uniform is essentially canvas, so I'm thinking it may stand up to bleach a little better. I'm adding it to my shopping list!

Tami - It's easy except for that poor wallet of mine. And the shame in having to go to the owner of the dojo after two weeks to ask for a new uniform ;)

Jenn - Thanks! We're all proud. Maybe this is part of teaching them responsibility?

Sandra - I can only imagine. There is no way I'd go with a white coat for that very reason. Even my champagne one is looking sad after washing.

Tara - Oh that's brilliant. I keep forgetting you used to teach martial arts. We may have to go with that strategy soon!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP