Friday, February 18, 2011

File This Under Things I Didn't Need To Know

I've joked in the past that I need to just live in a bubble. I would love to have my little bubble world where every day is 77 and sunny with a light breeze. No smog, no rain or snow, no hot or cold, just ahhhhh...

Of course, that isn't the only purpose my bubble would serve. After watching Restaurant: Impossible a couple weeks ago, I will never, ever eat in a restaurant in New Castle Delaware given what the health inspectors apparently let pass there. Trust me when I tell you that you don't need to go look up that episode.

Then there's my real freak out factor. I detest little creepy crawly things. I live in fear that the wee ones will catch lice that is inevitably going around their schools. The thought gives me the heeby jeebies. But bed bugs? Oh, I can hardly stand to even type the word.

I now check every hotel I stay at for evidence of the critters. I've been lucky that I haven't had any issues to date, but I know the day will eventually come when I'll have to call a hotel's front desk and insist on a room change. They are everywhere, definitely not just internationally or big cities.

The thing that really freaked me out though?

I was listening to news radio on my way to the gym last week as they began discussing how bedbugs have invaded a new space. Apparently travelers are becoming more health conscious. And they're working out while on the road, which is awesome. The part that's not so awesome? Those bedbugs in the hotels are climbing into their gym bags.

Bedbugs are now running rampant in gym locker rooms. Where they can survive for up to a year waiting for a new host. Are you kidding me? The gym is my sanctuary. I can't have bedbugs there. Can. Not.

The only good thing is that I know there aren't many people who use the locker I do (its combination is most often the same one I left it at my previous workout, yay!). But seriously, now I have to worry about bedbugs there, too? My skin is crawling as I type this.

I'm off now to go google search bubbles. I'm going to need to move into one soon. Really, really soon.


I am also giving away a Progresso Souper You Debut gift pack here.

Oh, and while you're at it, I finally set up a Facebook Fan page for my blog (and corrected the link here - oops!). It's way overdue. Go like me on Facebook if you would so I can get an official username - once I get enough likes. You can also follow me on Twitter, too, if you're so inclined.

12 comments:

Susie February 18, 2011 at 3:11 PM  

Yeah. Ignorance is sometimes bliss:-)

Pat February 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM  

Bedbugs...eeeuuuwww! I can't stand the thought of them, either.

On Facebook I've clicked on "Like" for several of your links to your blog. When I click on the one big "Like" that's up at the top, it goes to the sign-in page, and after I sign in, the only "Like" buttons to click are on the individual blog-post-links. I'm not sure where the one big "Like" button at the top is after that.

Not a Perfect Mom February 18, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

if you're worried about lice then don't wash the kid's hair!
and bedbugs in gym bags just gave me a whole new reason why I shouldn't exercise...so thanks!

Kimberly February 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM  

Ew....glad I don't change at the gym. I go home and change, then force myself to leave the house again even when I don't want to. Ewwww...makes me never want to sleep in a bed that's not my own ever again.

p.s. I love how your Google ads are "Kill Bed Bugs with Heat" and "Zippered Bed Bug Proof"

Heather February 19, 2011 at 12:25 AM  

There are few things I refuse to google. Bedbugs, how to find them, and where to look for them are those things. EEEEEEEEEK!

Tara R. February 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM  

Bed bugs give me the heebie jeebies... I feel all itchy just reading this.

Joanna Jenkins February 20, 2011 at 12:02 AM  

The bedbugs are scary. When I stay at a hotel. I tear the bed apart before I bring my luggage up from the lobby. You never know :-(

Hang in there, jj

Laura February 20, 2011 at 12:39 AM  

HA! this makes me laugh, until I hear about them at my gym then not so funny :)

Melisa Wells February 20, 2011 at 11:27 AM  

BLECH. Bedbugs at the gym: sorta makes you (me) not want to go there anymore.

Let me know if you can get a group rate on that bubble.

septembermom February 20, 2011 at 2:17 PM  

I guess it's good that I "try" to do crunches on my living room floor now. Maybe I'm not missing anything at the gym...

Unknown February 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM  

And just when you remembered the combination too!

The bed bug coverage gives me the heebie jeebies too... I was so afraid DH was going to have a run in w/ them while he was staying in a very bad hotel in Atlanta this summer... we were lucky that he didn't run into them... but eeek-- at the gym...

Do you see why I don't go to those places ;)

Michelle February 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM  

Susie - Isn't it though? I so wish I hadn't had the radio on right then. I'd be a much happier girl right now.

Pat - Nasty, I know! And liking: look at the top of the page just to the right of the page name, and there should be a bigger like right there :)

Not a Perfect Mom - Shhh we don't wash them often for that reason - and definitely on Fridays when it's a couple days before school. And we absolutely use Dippito Dos to help prevent it, too. I need to start adding tea tree oil, as well. bleh!

Kimberly - And I unfortunately can't stand leaving the gym hot and gross. I don't sweat, so I actually need the shower to cool myself off or I just feel bleh - ask Melisa about that one ;)

Heather - Yeah, I know. Sorry about that one.

Tara - Me, too. Again. More apologies :)

Joanna - Absolutely, and it doesn't matter where you're staying. Egads.

Laura - Yep, exactly. Please stay away from my gym!

Melisa - I'll definitely let you know, and I'm willing to share mine with you, provided you prove you aren't carrying them ;)

Kelly - Yep, see, now you feel much better about working out at home, right?

Cris - I know, I know! And sadly, it isn't just the "bad" hotels, but they're alllll over. Everywhere!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP