Sunday, February 27, 2011

I Would Make A Horrible Boy Scout

Mister Man joined Cub Scouts this year. He loves it. I mean L-O-V-E-S it, and yes, he's doing it again next year. Today was a big day for him, as he had his Blue and Gold Banquet where he moved from being a Tiger Scout to being a Wolf Scout. Yay!

And being the great mom I am, I brought not one but two cameras with me. I had my pocket camera as a backup in my purse, and I grabbed my DSLR bag, knowing that I was going to want to switch lenses and use the external flash. Rock on, me.

You know that Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared?

It turns out that I switched purses last night to go out to dinner and neglected to move the pocket camera from one purse to the other. No biggie. I opened up my camera bag to discover my zoom lens and external flash. And no camera. Closing my eyes, I could picture it sitting on my coffee table.

*sigh*

Fortunately, I have my trusty camera phone. It's slow, but it actually has surprisingly good resolution. In fact, you should see the pictures from last night's dinner at Wildfire with the three guys in the group drinking their manly Manhattans from girly glasses with cherries floating in them. Besides the point, oops.

I did what I could, but ... my camera didn't like the lighting or the distance or ... something. This shot was the best of the bunch.


Yeah, because you can't actually tell since the photo is so blurry and bleh, Mister Man is the boy on the far left. I'll be begging other parents (not many cameras unfortunately, as apparently many of us were slacker parents today) for any photos they got of the ceremony.

But Scouting? It's fun. I never did post about his Pinewood Derby experience. I was thrilled when Mister Man showed no interest in winning the races, as I was fairly confident it would not be likely given how competitive I've heard it can be. We let him do the majority of it on his own, the exception being the saw work obviously.

He loved his race car. He decorated it with Legos and let his passion shine through. Definitely not the most aerodynamic, but he didn't care when I pointed that out - more power to him.

But when he came home that afternoon (I missed it, sadly, as Little Miss had two birthday parties I had to ferry her to and from during the Derby), he had a surprise for me. He won third place in the design portion. I didn't even realize design mattered in the car.


He is prouder than proud of his trophy. Next year? He's already decided he wants to make his car look like an AT-AT Walker. I'm working on talking him down from there; fortunately I've still got about ten months to do that!

Pssssst I have a Facebook Fan page Facebook page. Come, like me! And, yes, I'm on Twitter, too - just sayin'.

7 comments:

Heather February 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM  

Awww! I HATE THAT FEELING! I hate when I forget something like that :( It feels like a missed opportunity of greatness, right?!

Congrats to him! What an awesome little trophy and car!

Pat February 27, 2011 at 10:46 PM  

I can see why he won the design award---it is very spiffy!

I remember those pinewood derbies--for some reason the cubmaster's son always won the race. But our boys had fun making their cars and watching them race. The boys last in scouting through4th grade, and then they didn't think it was cool any more. :( Maybe it was because Jerry had no interest in scouting.

Pat February 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM  

...lasted (not last) in scouting.

I can't find my blog February 27, 2011 at 11:55 PM  

I could go on and on and on about scouting... yet I'm sure you don't want to hear it.

Yay for 3rd in design. That's awesome for his first year! (I have a total of 8 years of cubscouting under my belt. I should know!)

Lisa Noel February 28, 2011 at 8:50 AM  

I can't even tell you how many times this has happened to me in the last year plus! great shot of the car and trophy though!! We are loving scouts for the boys!!
And we find that stuff with legos always draws the design votes!!!

Tara R. February 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM  

I made plans to meet up with a blog friend of mine, got to the venue only to find that the battery in my camera was dead and I forget to bring my back up. Meh...

Now I double check, and keep my p&s camera in my purse.

Congrats to MM on his awesome design work. He looks so handsome in his scout uniform.

Michelle March 1, 2011 at 1:36 PM  

Heather - At least I'm not alone? But ya, how awesome for him. He was SOOOO proud. Still is.

Pat - Aww, thanks! The winning car design looked like a semi pulling a trailer. I love the creativity some people have.

Headless Mom - Ummm probably not ;) Then again, it's all my husband's realm because I need him to do something with the wee ones that isn't all just me!

Lisa - Hmm, good to know that Legos draw the design votes. We'll be sure to remember that for next year ;)

Tara - Yes, but you HAVE a backup. You get kudos for that. I had to use my P&S today for food pics for next Tuesday and I forgot how different the pics turn out!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP