Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Korean Beef - Tasty Tuesday!

I love that the wee ones are open to experimentation. They're the rare children who are into sushi (although I'll admit that it took multiple years of me eating it in front of them and encouraging them to try it - again - before they decided they love it), and they're fans of many Asian flavors, so long as they aren't super spicy. My Miso Chicken is one of their favorites, and this week I experimented with another flavor.

They. Loved. It. Fortunately, I have extra flank steak, so I can make it again soon. It isn't spicy, it's super easy, and I made enough for leftovers for eveyone's lunches - which they happily ate.

It's amazing how quick it was to put together, and the ingredients are all things I generally have on hand. Again, this is one that looks much harder and more fancy than it really is. Have I mentioned that this is my favorite kind of recipe?

Korean(ish) Beef

Ingredients:
1 lb flank steak
1 T brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T ginger, fresh grated*
1 T sesame oil
1/4 c dark beer
1 T sesame seeds

Directions:
Mix the sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and beer into a container for marinating. I like to do mine in a large plastic container that I can reuse v a zip top bag. I simply use tongs to mix the meat around every hour or so to ensure it's all well-coated and yummy.


Slice your flank steak on a bias about 1/8 to 1/4 inches thick. If you find this hard to do, put your meat in the freezer for a half hour or so, then try slicing it again. That means slicing it against the grain and do it diagonally, so that you end up with wider strips of beef that will be easier to cook than if you cut straight up and down and that will absorb the yummy marinade well.


You want to marinate the flank steak for several hours to allow the marinade to start to break down the tough meat a little bit, in addition to adding all sorts of great taste.

Before:

After:

Once the meat is marinated, dinner is just about ready. Cooking is super fast, meaning it's a great weeknight dinner when you want to get stuff on the table fast. Because the wee ones aren't huge fans of lettuce (yet! We keep working on it though), we served it over rice - which fortunately cooks up nicely in advance and stays warm for when we want it.

Heat up a grill pan - or your grill - to about medium high heat. I prefer a grill pan though since the meat can't accidentally slide through the grates, which would drive me batty to waste it. Lightly oil it just to keep it from sticking to start, the meat will release enough fat to keep it from sticking once it gets cooking.


Using tongs, spread out the beef in batches on the pan (or grill) in a single layer. Let them cook for just a couple minutes until you can see the edges turning brown. Flip them with the tongs and grill again for another couple minutes. Add the next batch and keep going until the meat is used up.

Serve the cooked meat rolled in butter lettuce or over rice. Sprinkle it with sesame seeds for a great last touch - toasting them lightly before sprinkling adds a great extra bit of flavor but isn't necessary if you're (ahem) crunched for time.


*Grating fresh ginger is super easy. It keeps for what seems like forever in your freezer, and is super cheap. I simply buy a root, keep it in the bag it came in, and leave it in the freezer. When I need it, I simply pull it out and use my zester and grate it with the zester while it's still frozen. Easy peasy - always fresh and so much cheaper than the powdered stuff that comes in a can.

Enjoy this and more with Blessed with Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

I am also giving away a Progresso Souper You Debut gift pack here.

Oh, and while you're at it, I finally set up a Facebook Fan page for my blog (and corrected the link here - oops!). It's way overdue. Go like me on Facebook if you would so I can get an official username - once I get enough likes. You can also follow me on Twitter, too, if you're so inclined.

8 comments:

Susie February 22, 2011 at 9:56 AM  

That looks really yummy!!

Kori February 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM  

We make this ALL the time at our house (and it doesn't have to be flank steak, as that tend to be out of our budget unless it is on the clearance aisle). We DO do the lettuce part of it, and make a dipping sauce, but like yours, our two youngest won't do the lettuce and/or garlic, OR the sauce (we use black bean and red pepper paste, along with sesame oil). Great recipe!

Heather February 22, 2011 at 11:18 PM  

YUM YUM YUM YUM! i SO want to make this and SOON! maybe later on this week! thank you for the recipe!

Tara R. February 23, 2011 at 7:22 AM  

This is one of my favorite dishes. It took a while to get used to the intense flavor of sesame oil, but it adds such a great kick to the dish.

Michelle February 23, 2011 at 8:27 PM  

Susie - It is so good, and so quick, too. And really.. if the wee ones will eat it, you know it's good. Or something like that.

Kori - I think next time I'll put the lettuce out for them to see us eating and see what happens. After all, you've seen their affection for sushi now.

Heather - Go for it! And let me know how it turns out.

Tara - Oh I love sesame oil. And you can always put a little less in (or put in more beer to drown it out a touch), but it really is a great flavor combination, isn't it?

Pat February 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM  

What's the ingredient that gives the recipe the "-ish" part of Korean-ish?

I'm gonna make this. Jerry will LOVE it because it's sweet.

Kimberly February 27, 2011 at 10:42 AM  

I never thought to freeze fresh ginger root. You just saved me a bunch of money from tossing out nasty ginger root that hardly ever gets used up!

Michelle March 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM  

Pat - Ummm it's mostly pretty Korean, but the brown sugar I don't think is truly authentic, and I'm sure there's more that's missing. Plus, I didn't do the lettuce leaves! :)

Kimberly - Oh absolutely! Toss that ginger root in your freezer and grate it still frozen. It's much easier and cheaper that way!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP