Monday, May 31, 2010

Tasty Tuesday!

Did you know? I want to make your day. Enter to win a week of summer day camp for ages 5-12 here, a fun Shrek-tacular prize pack here, or a $25 Wal-Mart gift card here.

***

On Memorial Day weekend, there are always lots of activities planned, many of which center around food. For us, we spent much of the weekend at birthday parties, but today we finally had the requisite grilling and cooking, and the wee ones had a blast.

Granted, this isn't the recipe that I made today (Laura, I made your Twix bars AGAIN), it's one of my favorites for barbeques and other informal gatherings. And now that I look at this recipe again, I'm going to have to make it soon!

Happy Memorial Day - and a huge thank you to all those who serve in every capacity.

Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Ingredients:
1/2 lb black beans, washed and soaked overnight (or use a can of beans - drained and well rinsed)
10 oz frozen corn
1 small red onion, chopped
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 c cilantro (fresh), chopped
2 avocadoes
2 limed, juiced
salt to taste

Directions:
Soak your black beans overnight. Drain and rinse a couple times. Fill your pot with water about an inch over the beans again and simmer for 2-3 hours until tender. Drain and add to a bowl.

While the beans are coming to room temperature, seed your tomatoes (or be lazy like me and just cut them in half) and chop them 1/2 inch pieces. Chop the red onion (you want about 3/4 cup - depending on your preference; this is what I shoot for) and the cilantro.

Add these to the beans along with the frozen corn, and stir gently to mix. Add the juice of your limes and about 1/2 t salt (again - season to your taste). Stir again. Slice up your avocadoes into the same size pieces as your tomatoes and add to the salsa. Stir gently one last time to coat the avocado with the lime juice and distribute throughout the salsa, but don't break the up.

Chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Serve the same day with chips (or my favorite - slices of cucumber so I can justify eating the entire bowl myself).

Enjoy this and more with Blessed With Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!

8 comments:

Suzy June 1, 2010 at 12:32 AM  

Sounds summery and delicious!

Unknown June 1, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

Mmm I love blacks bean and corn salsa, fresh sounds so much better than the stuff I've been eating.

Kristen June 1, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

Sounds wonderful - perfect for a summer cookout!

Tara R. June 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

I have a different black bean/corn recipe, but this one with the tomatoes and avocado sounds delicious! I need to try this one out too.

Brenda June 1, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

serving this with sliced cucumbers is a great idea!

Alexis AKA MOM June 1, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

Oh yummy one of our favorite is black bean salsa but I've never thought of making it. GREAT idea!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace June 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM  

Love it! Thanks, Michelle, for linking up each week.

Michelle June 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM  

Suzy - Absolutely! I'm all about not heating up the kitchen in the summer.

Megryansmom - Ummm me too? I'll pretend to not see the empty bowl (small child size bowl and not full, mind you) of Oberweis.

Kristen - Yep! I'm definitely bringing some to share the next time I go somewhere.

Tara - They're all different, and they're all good, aren't they?

Brenda - I thought so - inspired even ;)

Alexis - SO easy and much healthier than the processed kind. Go for it!

Lisa - You're welcome. Thanks for hosting :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP