Monday, May 17, 2010

Tasty Tuesday!

As I type this, I have a recipe in the oven that I'm not posting. You'd thank me for it except that I'm providing you to the link for the Twix-tacular bars here. I think I hate Laura just a little bit right now. If you want to hate her, too, go see how evil those bars are.

I'll try to be a little more healthful.

Sorta.

After all, it's fresh fruit. And less sugar. It's all relative.

Lemon Raspberry Pots de Creme

Ingredients:
4 c heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, seeds removed
zest of one lemon
7 egg yolks
1/2 c sugar (see, I told you it was less than the Twix-tacular Bars)
1/3 c lemon juice
2 pints raspberries


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (325 is ok if you think your oven may run hot!).

Heat the cream, vanilla bean, and lemon zest in a heavy saucepan on medium low heat until steaming. Allow the flavors to infuse for about 10 minutes, then remove from the heat.

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Slowly add the lemon juice to the well-whisked mixture slowly, as though you're emulsifying oil. Temper the eggs by adding a small amount of the cream to the eggs to bring them to temperature. Then slowly pour the egg mixture into the hot cream while whisking to ensure the mixture does not scramble.

Return to the stove and let it simmer a few more minutes or steep together off the heat for about ten minutes. You'll know it's ready when it starts to coagulate on a wooden spoon. Use your finger to draw a line in the custard. If the line stays for a bit, it's ready.

Pour the custard into individual ramekins and place into a baking dish. Pour hot water into the baking dish (NOT into the ramekins) until it reaches about halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

Bake in the oven until the custard is set but slightly jiggly in the center. This will be in the neighborhood of 60 minutes, but every oven will be different. Go by feel here!

Remove the roasting pan and chill the ramekins in the fridge until cold. When ready to serve, cover the top completely with raspberries.


Enjoy this and more with Tempt My Tummy and Blessed with Grace!

6 comments:

Lucy May 18, 2010 at 12:03 AM  

Both of these recipes sound DELISH!

Laura May 18, 2010 at 1:20 AM  

I don't know Michelle FOUR CUPS OF CREAM?? Is that really better than twix-tacular evilness? :D
These sound so great Michelle. I have never made anything like this successfully, I always scramble the eggs.
Thanks for sharing on Just Another Meatless Monday!

Oh and thanks for the shout out :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet May 18, 2010 at 7:09 AM  

Wowsa! This sounds divine! :D

Michelle May 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

Lucy - Yep... and really pretty easy, too. Even better.

Laura - Wellll four cups of cream v a pound of butter... I can fake it at least? And there's less sugar in the pots de creme!

Sherry - Yep. So light and yummy! And GONE. :)

septembermom May 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM  

I can't miss Michelle's Tasty Tuesday! Another good one :)

Michelle May 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

Kelly - And oh so yummy! Glad you enjoy them.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP