Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I'm Trying So Hard To Be Healthy

*sigh*

I'm about ready to give up, although I know that isn't the answer. With the wee ones, especially, I do what I can to ensure that I'm teaching them to be safe, helping them learn to live happy and productive lives, and feeding them the best foods (ok, the Twix-tacular bars aside) that are the healthiest for them.

I don't always feel like I'm a success, but I generally feel like I at least am a ship on a steady course towards the right destination, even though a wave may push me one way or the other temporarily. I'm not the best parent, but I do ok.

But ohhh this food thing.

We don't eat trans fats at all - nothing partially hydrogenated gets eaten by us (and yes, that means some foods that we're given in goodie bags or for Halloween get donated instead of enjoyed by the wee ones). They cause obesity and raise bad cholesterol, lowering good cholesterol.

I cut out all plastic that wasn't BPA-free because of the risks of BPA. The increase in diabetes and fertility problems and memory issues just wasn't worth it.

High fructose corn syrup (and really, just about all corn syrup) is also a forbidden food, and the wee ones know it. Yep, this is another one that leads to obesity, but I was also concerned with the mercury that studies found contained in many samples of foods made with HFCS.

Yesterday, studies came out showing that pesticides - particularly in produce - appear to be a big part of the reason for higher incidence of ADHD. Given the high correlation between attention issues and autism (not the mention that fact that there are times of concern with Mister Man's attention levels!), I can't justify putting him at risk. And my march towards buying organic has suddenly become a sprint as I vow to avoid any produce that isn't organic going forward.

And today ... more bad news. That BPA issue? It's worse in the linings of cans than it is in plastic. So much for my "healthy" homemade tomato sauce. Or my emergency we're-out-of-fruit-pineapple. Eden Foods is apparently the only option for non-BPA cans, and I don't think I've ever seen that brand near me.

So what's next?

What else will I learn that I'm doing that I think is healthy, that I'm trying to do to help the wee ones only to discover that I'm instead poisoning them in one form or the other.

I'll be the mom sitting in the corner drooling and muttering gibberish. Don't mind me.

12 comments:

Alexis AKA MOM May 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

Oh girl you're such a awesome mom watching all that!

Don't worry I'll come over and wipe the drool :)

Laura May 19, 2010 at 3:30 AM  

Michelle, I feel your pain I really do! Find a food co-op and join up they are everywhere. They buy organic in huge lots and then break it down to reasonable sizes. I joined one up here we get fresh organic produce every two weeks. Love it.

I guess one of my points I was trying to make a while back was you can't change what people ingest so radically as we have in the last 100 years and expect normal results because we don't know the long term ramifications of any of the additives or 'food stuffs' we put in food. Or in this case on our food.
This is one reason I damn near kill myself to grow as much food as possible for my family.

Regina May 19, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

It seems that the more you know - the harder it is to make good choices. But the way I look at it - you are leaps and bounds ahead of the average person! And that has GOT to count for something.

It all makes it pretty tempting to go live on a remote island and live off the land (assuming it was non-polluted / pestiside free) LOL!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com May 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

Deep breaths...

Tam May 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

you lost me at healthy...LOL I am trying to be also...but it is so hard. Sigh!

Amy May 19, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

We don't eat a lot of canned tomatoes - only in chili and in Spanish rice, and I only make those once a month or so... But, if we did, I'd use this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=pomi+tomatoes&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4577749375&ref=pd_sl_3jsa9vs4t_e

In fact, I'm considering laying in a good supply anyway - regardless of the fact that we're not big tomato eaters.

They're BPA free. I've been worrying about BPA lately too. So much, that I didn't even have to look that link up, it was open in another tab, and I've been debating whether or not to order some for about 36 hours.

I'm going to check the health food store near me for that brand first.

Let me know if you try it.

FWIW, I've bought food from Amazon before (Vitatops, specifically) and it's fine.

Kori May 19, 2010 at 5:37 PM  

Now I REALLY feel like a crappy mom becuase other than the whole HFCS thing, I don't pay any attention to the other things. And we still eat stuff with HFCS in it, just not as much-and ONLY made any changes there becuase one of my kids was allergic to CORN. I will join you in the corner, for opposite reasons. :)

Michelle May 19, 2010 at 9:33 PM  

Alexis - Awesome? Ha! I've got my hands full... but at least I now have an official drool wiper!

Laura - I'll have to look for a food co-op (any ideas on what to search for?). I was part of a CSA awhile ago, but they don't participate where I live now. *sigh*

Regina - Absolutely. But I don't know that I'm leaps and bounds ahead. Mister Man has so many issues already; how much more difficult have I made his life?

Tracey - And now I'm hyperventilating ;)

Tam - It is hard. Even trying and working to shop responsibly. Do you know how hard it is to find buns with no HFCS? They don't need to be sweetened in the first place!

Amy - We do a lot of canned tomatoes. And canned chicken is our go to protein for a fast meal when we're running late. I did see that Eden Foods was BPA free - thanks for the info!

Kori - no no no! That wasn't my intention at all. I'm trying to do the right thing for my family and my wee ones - and with Mister Man already behind the 8 ball....

septembermom May 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM  

I wish I was at good as you keeping on top of all this. I really need to purge the "unhealthy" out of our diet.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet May 22, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

Ugh! Now I have to start thinking about that, too. What next? Why can't food processors just make food that will be good for us? :(

Hyacynth May 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM  

OH.MY.GOSH. I know exactly what you are saying. This is why I now have an organic garden (having 21 tomato plants in like having 21 additional toddlers to care for). And, why, you ask, do I have 21 tomaoto plants? Because of the exact study read about the can lining. Not even joking. http://www.undercovermother.net/2010/05/living-healthfully-organic-gardening.html
So do you want to come help harvest tomatoes this summer? Will pay in tomatoes for help freezing and canning. :)

Michelle May 23, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

Kelly - I'm not saying that we're totally healthy (witness the Twix bars?), but I do try to keep the chemicals out of our bodies at least. It's a real challenge!

Sherry - Ohhhhhh don't ask. I'm afraid to know. And I think the very definition that they're processors means it will end up being bad for us.

Hyacynth - Oooo we're on the same wavelength. Here's hoping the critters stay out of your garden (I highly recommend the Scarecrow btw). Will happily help freezing and canning in exchange for tomatoes :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP