Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter to all who are celebrating (and for those who aren't, just enjoy the pictures).

I have a babysitting co-op in my neighborhood that rocks. We help each other out on a regular basis - for example both this coming and this past Wednesday when I need someone to get Little Miss off her bus. With over twenty women together, we can always find someone who is available to watch our children in exchange for hours.

It's more than just the babysitting though. Our monthly meetings are a great social outlet and a wonderful source of information about upcoming events, the schools, and more. We have periodic ladies nights to just get away. And we do holiday events, including an Easter Egg hunt that has become quite the tradition.

It starts off with an Easter Egg hunt, which they kindly hold off on starting until the four of us who attend the Catholic school that gets out later can make it to the designated house. Each of us provides stuffed eggs, and the kids are separated by age to go in search of their requisite number of eggs.

Note that I have no pictures of this. Although I recharged my camera before the event and put the battery back in, I apparently neglected to put the camera actually into my purse. Nice babysitting people lent me their camera, however.

We also have a visit from the Easter Bunny, who comes to visit all the children and is available for pictures. Usually the Easter Bunny is fairly stationary and put in a picturesque area, but this year he was mobile.



This may also be the last year we have the Easter Bunny. As disappointing as it was, I witnessed several of the older (and I'm talking early middle school age) children harrassing the bunny - pulling on his gloves, yanking his watch chain, pulling on his pockets trying to rip them off his jacket, lifting up his waist, and the like. I chastised them, and they looked suitably ashamed for being disrespectful to the bunny, but I caught them (and others) at it later, and I know other moms did, too. It's a shame.

This isn't all, however. After the Easter Egg hunt is over, there are cookies to decorate. Dozens and dozens of cookies are made, frosting and sugars and decorations are provided, and the kids get to go to town making and eating their creations. You'll notice no pictures of Little Miss here, as she was being Miss Crabby McCrabbypants and not listening and was taken home by my husband after the Easter Egg hunt portion.



The host for the past two years has added yet another bit of entertainment. She prints out all sorts of Easter coloring pages, and the children are then invited to color them for a contest. This isn't your typical contest, however, where the one artistic child wins every single year. Instead, all the pictures are hung up for their due admiration while the kids go run and play for awhile. Eventually, they are taken down, shuffled, and three random winners are drawn.



Mister Man didn't win, and he was disappointed, but he was thrilled that he was able to help other kids find eggs after he'd found his dozen. In fact, as he was helping one boy find thirteen of his eighteen eggs, one of the eggs he found for that boy had a special "E" label inside that meant the boy received a special prize. Mister Man couldn't have been prouder that he helped than if he'd won himself.

And really? Isn't that what Easter is all about? Helping others, sharing and celebrating as a community, and recognizing that we're all in this together trying to make the world a better place?

Happy Easter!

10 comments:

Laura April 3, 2010 at 11:56 PM  

that bunny would scare the S**t out of me.

I love the picture of your kids with him though, very sweet

I think it's funny that your 6 year old is loud BOTH of my little boys are overly loud and I DON"T KNOW WHERE THAT COMES FROM!! :D

Alexis AKA MOM April 4, 2010 at 3:24 AM  

what a great thing to have to help you out! I would love to be in a co-op!

That was so nice with the camera, you sound just like me I did that once at Cole's performance asked a few moms and got nothing :(.

LOVE the pictures!!! And what a great man you have raised to help others! I think that is the right spirit! HUGS

WeaselMomma April 4, 2010 at 5:19 AM  

Happy Easter! It looks like they had fun.

Tara R. April 4, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

Happy Easter to your Peeps.

Claudya Martinez April 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

Happy Easter!

I'm sorry to hear the Easter Bunny got harassed.

Melisa Wells April 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Consider the photos enjoyed. :)

I used to belong to a babysitting co-op, but you probably already assumed that. It's an awesome kind of group to be a part of!

And, uh, yeah. SCARY BUNNY. No disrespect, but Yikes!

Happy Easter!

septembermom April 5, 2010 at 6:27 PM  

Easter bunnies often do scare me. Hope you had a great Easter!!

Michelle April 5, 2010 at 8:01 PM  

Laura - The loud? It's inherited from my husband. "But Mommy, I need to talk this loud so people can hear me over Daddy!"

Alexis - Oh it's a wonderful thing. I love it! And yes, the moms are great about sharing whatever is needed.

WeaselMomma - They had a blast. With that many kids, I was suprised there were no tears, but ....

Tara - Eww, Peeps! Is it wrong that I don't like them?

Unknown Mami - I was, too. I would have thought that this would be one place that there wouldn't be an issue. I'll be interested to see if it comes up in our meeting.

Melisa - Thanks. No disrespect. The bunny is pretty freaky looking. I mentioned in in our first Easter post, I think.

Karen - Happy Easter to you!

Kelly - I'm guessing this one did, too, huh? I hope you all had a great Easter!

Pat April 6, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

What fun for all the kids. It sounds like you have a great support group of women in your neighborhood.

It's a shame that those jr. high kids were harassing the bunny...hope their parents were spoken to.

Michelle April 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

Pat - It is a great support network. I got invited into one woman's bathroom today to see how they redid is, as she knew I was in the process of redesigning ours. Love it!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP