Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Scrooge No More

I just came back inside after round one of shoveling our first major snowfall of the season. Lucky me, it was the heavy wet stuff, but hey -- I didn't get to the gym today, so I can use the exercise.

The shoveling got me to thinking, and I just figured out my issue. Or at least one of them.

Every year, I treasure the Christmas season. It's a very special time, and I love it. However, I'm also one of those people who does not want Christmas to drag on too long or infringe on any other season's joys.

Once we hit the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I'm ready to start Christmas. The decorations can come out. I'm willing to buy a tree (although we're rarely, if ever, that organized). I'm way into my Christmas baking. And I've got the Christmas station programmed in my car.

This year though, I had no interest in listening to Christmas music at all. It just didn't feel like Christmas, and I was sooooo not in the mood. I wasn't sure why, but one day last week, I found myself turning on the Christmas station on my way to drop the wee ones at school. Apparently the Christmas spirit was back.

However, by the time I got in the car again that afternoon, I had apparently lost my Christmas spirit because I couldn't stand to listen to the music anymore. What gives?

Today, I finally turned the Christmas station back on -- although admittedly I had to flip between a couple because I didn't like what was playing on one or the other at times.

Any ideas what changed?

Ummm yeah... how does that classic song go? "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere we go...." Apparently all I needed was a little snow. That first day I listened to Christmas music? We had a dusting of snow that melted mostly off mid-morning. Ohhhh (the lightbulb goes on). And today? More snow. In fact, we're forecast eight to eleven inches.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!





So how many of you now have those songs going through your head? Sorry. Sorta.

And a Merry SITSmas to all!

17 comments:

Laura December 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM  

Ahahaha!! I have felt a little scroogey too. Or at least totally unprepared. I don't know why. I want it to be special but even getting out the decorations I felt like "why?" as in why am I doing this when I have to haul them back in 3 weeks.
Weird. I am gung ho Christmas but this year I'm having trouble feeling it.

Beth December 8, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Merry SITSmas!

Nicole December 8, 2009 at 10:04 PM  

I would love to have it snow! Here in Tucson, we don't get that too often!
Merry SITSmas!

Shannon December 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM  

You're not the only one feeling Scrooge-y. It seems like Christmas has just snuck up on me... and now I feel like I have to rush and get things done. And won't have time to enjoy the season!

Deep breath in... and let it out...

It'll get better, right?


Merry SITSmas to you!

KK December 8, 2009 at 11:07 PM  

No snow here, but it still feels like Christmas to me! Merry SITSmas!

The Dutch Girl December 8, 2009 at 11:14 PM  

Snow is an essential ingredient, I agree. Lucky for me, I just moved to Northern Wisconsin. Merry SITSmas!

Veronica Lee December 8, 2009 at 11:29 PM  

Merry SITSmas to you!!

Claudya Martinez December 9, 2009 at 12:04 AM  

It finally began to feel like Christmas to me today. I turned on the Christmas music, but I turned it off pretty quickly.

WeaselMomma December 9, 2009 at 4:58 AM  

I find myself only enjoying Christmas music in small spurts. I think it's because as much as I like the classics, I am tired of the same old, same old and need some new classics in my life.

septembermom December 9, 2009 at 6:27 AM  

Christmas music can get to me too. We just got a nice snowfall tonight and I do feel more in the spirit. The kids are home with me so I probably will get stressed super fast. I better put on some tunes soon!

Sandy December 9, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

A very Merry SITSmas to you!

Hyacynth December 9, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

Looks like you're stuck living here in the great north. Because perhaps if you lived in LA, you'd never celebrate Christmas! lol

Mama Bee December 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

Merry SITSmas! At least you get snow, here in NC, we get ICE more than anything... and today it's in the 60s and windy like the spring... WEIRD!!

Anonymous December 9, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

I am usually WAY into Christmas and the holiday season, and while I am not feeling like Scrooge exactly, I am feeling pretty indifferent about Christmas this year. I keep looking at the calendar, glad that another day has passed and that we are one day closer to ending the season. The snow does help, as does yesterday's HIGH temperature of 8. Nothing says Merry Christmas like ice forming on the INSIDE of the windows.

2Wired2Tired December 9, 2009 at 10:30 PM  

Merry SITSmas! I agree snow definitely puts me in the Christmas spirit as long as I don't have to shovel it!

Visiting from SITS. I like your blog and am now following.

Karen December 10, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

I think it is the snow that makes the difference. Or at least we're the same that way. Merry Christmas!

Michelle December 10, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

Laura - The being out for three weeks part doesn't bother me. But I'm just not READY when it's still warm and fall, I think. Now that we have snow, I could totally go get a tree and decorate it. If I had time, and if it weren't -1.2 degrees sans windchill :)

Beth - To you, as well!

Nicole - Ooo I can only imagine the fun of snow in Tucson. I think I'd have a hard time adjusting to a snowless Christmas though.

Shannon - Ohhh I sure hope it gets better :) I'm definitely in a rush, but at this point, it isn't even Christmas related!

KK - I'm glad you've found the holiday joy. Care to share?

Hanneke - After this week, you've definitely got plenty of snow in Northern Wisconsin. You've got to be ready then, right?

Veronica - Right back atcha!

Unknown Mami - It's all about the baby steps, right?

WeaselMomma - Oooo now that is in intriguing theory. Maybe that's why I need the full complement of four Christmas stations to keep me happy?

Kelly - Yeah... the stress of children at home does eat into the mellow feeling some, doesn't it? I've got another week plus though!

Sandy - Thank you! You, too!

Hyacynth - Nope. That might be cheaper to not celebrate it though, right? Not to mention the gas bill would shrink significantly!

Rhonda - Ouch, the ice is no fun. I've had to deal with that before, and I hope you can avoid that this year!

Nichole - Yep, we've got that inside ice, too. In fact, our wreath froze to the inside of the window today. Welcome to the world of below zero temperatures!

2 Toddlers and Me - Welcome, and thank you! Sadly, I actually enjoy shoveling the snow. I love seeing the tangible evidence of what I've done, and it's great "easy" exercise. Weird, I know.

Karen - I'm voting for the snow makes the difference! :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP