Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I Think I Missed December

You know the phrase about time flying when you're having fun. Apparently it also flies when you're a mom. Or at least that's the excuse I'm using right now. I've been late for the entire month of December, and with Christmas in only a couple days (it's December 22 today, right? I don't even know the date right now!) I'm not even close to being ready. Somehow, it will come together, but I haven't quite figured out how yet.

So rather than wrap Christmas presents, I'm taking a break from the must do's to muddle over the proof that I'm this late.

Top Ten Pieces of Evidence That I've Forgotten It's December

10. I just wrote out my Christmas cards. It's 9pm on Christmas Eve Eve Eve. There's about a 0.00001% chance of anyone receiving the cards before Christmas. Oops.

9. The only reason I was able to write Christmas cards tonight is because I bought two huge boxes of Christmas cards majorly clearanced last year after Christmas. It only took me thirty minutes to figure out where I had hidden them.

8. I'm still collecting addresses from friends who I know have moved. One friend just called with his new address, so I'm down to only two friends whose cards have no addresses.

7. The cards I wrote for the most part have no pictures in them. I went online at Costco.com today to order cards or pictures to put in the cards, but they wouldn't be ready until 11am tomorrow. Knowing this wouldn't happen, I didn't even bother to order them. Fortunately, my mom had ten extra wallet sized pictures of the wee ones that we'd had taken for her cards last month that she had dropped off with me last week (because, you know, her cards were done by December 1). It only took me 30 minutes to figure out where I'd hidden them. Hint: they were sitting on top of the box of Christmas cards I'd bought last year.

6. I did fortunately have letters to go in each of the cards, and no, this didn't happen only because I happened to have nine sheets of my holiday stationary left over from last year. I actually remembered last weekend that we would need new stationary, so I stopped at the store Sunday afternoon to pick some up. Not willing to pay $3 for 25 sheets at Target, I went to Office Max. The good news is that their Christmas stationary was 25% off. The bad news was that they had only one design left. And it was pretty ummmm not my style. But I bought it anyway, and my lovely Christmas letter is written on it.

5. I am to bring a side dish to my aunt and uncle's for Christmas Day. That's as far as I've gotten. I have no idea what I'm making. I have no idea what ingredients I need. All I know is that it won't be a sweet potato dish since another aunt is bringing sweet potato hash. Any suggestions?

4. I'm hosting Christmas Eve Italian dinner at my house. I traditionally make a lasagne, Caesar salad, baguettes, and a dessert of some sort. I have no lasagne noodles. I have no ricotta. I have no greens. I have no lemon. I have no idea what I'm making for dessert. Guess who's heading to the store tomorrow!

3. I haven't wrapped a single present. I have bought several presents for several people, but I don't have a complete inventory of what I have still have to pick up. You already heard about my issues with the Crayon Maker. My husband isn't getting two of the presents I was planning on because the only store that sells them has neglected to call me back. And I never gave the pictures to Elizabeth for the photo bracelet. Apparently tomorrow I'm also spending much of the day wrapping presents and doing some last minute shopping.

2. Oops. I just realized that on Christmas Day when we go to my aunt and uncle's house, I will need to have presents for my cousins' three children. Apparently I also need to figure out who else I need presents for. And hope that I'm struck by inspiration quickly.

And the number one reason I know that I've forgotten it's December? This is what we were doing yesterday.










On the plus side, I don't have to worry about our tree drying out and dropping needles all over the place before the garbage company picks up trees in January this year!

Tell me I'm not alone... what have you forgotten to do this year?



PS Don't forget about my two giveaways: my LOFT $200 gift card giveaway is ending on 12/25. And my $200 VISA gift card giveaway ends the following week.

13 comments:

Laura December 23, 2009 at 1:45 AM  

oh yeah but I'm not in panic mode yet. I am a list making fool at this point but somehow find time to waste online DOH



ummm not that your blog is a waste of time!

WeaselMomma December 23, 2009 at 5:59 AM  

You are not at all alone! I am still doing everything that you are doing and I didn't even show up late to December. Just a busy, busy time it has been.
Take a deep breath and make the traditional Italian 7 fishes for Christmas Eve dinner.

Unknown December 23, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

I haven't written the boys their letters from Santa yet. Good thing they can't read yet and won't realize it's not done yet.

Teacher Tom December 23, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

My excuse is that my daughter decided this year that she's going to embrace the Jewish part of her heritage. =)

septembermom December 23, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

I'm finally done with my shopping. I just sent out my cards. I'm still freaking out about other holiday things. Love all your pictures. The family looks great.

Merry Christmas Michelle!! Hope you enjoy your holiday in every way :)

Angela December 23, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

Oh, you are definitely NOT alone! Will it make you feel better if I tell you I've completely given up getting cards out this year? I'm going to have to send out regular notes throughout the year to make up for it. And I'm already terrible at snail mail correspondence!

Meanwhile I was supposed to go to Whole Foods and finish my food shopping this morning, then bake and cook all day. But I woke up with an icky infection this morning so I did not make it to either Whole Foods nor my kitchen, except that I did make turkey soup to make myself feel better. So now the remaining shopping and cooking has been pushed to tomorrow. If I don't get it done then, Friday will be real interesting!

Hugs, and Merry Christmas!

Angela December 23, 2009 at 7:31 PM  

PS for a fuss-free side dish to take to your family's house, try PW's whiskey-glazed carrots. They are SO yummy and easily portable!

Michelle December 23, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

Laura - Nice save.... That was close.

WeaselMomma - Italian seven fishes? I'm afraid to google that one. Did I mention that our oven appears to be rapidly dying?

Megryansmom - If it makes you feel better, I haven't let the wee ones know that children CAN write letters to Santa.

Tom - Ooooo, I like that one. Unfortunately, that's not one I can use. *sigh*

Kelly - I'm starting to enjoy it! Congrats on getting your stuff done, too.

Angela - Oh sure you tell yourself that you're going to send out regular cards this year. Can't wait to see how that goes! I hope you feel better soon!

Claudya Martinez December 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM  

You are not alone.

Merry Christmas!

Mrs4444 December 27, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

This is a great post. My tree is hopefully going down today, though I first have to work the stadium beer stand again. Hopefully, I won't run out of gas by then...

I mailed a handful of our cards on Christmas eve and handed a few out at my mom's as well. I've also made the annual, "Next year, I plan to have all of my shopping done early" pledge. Fat chance...

Michelle December 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Unknown Mami - So good to know because there are definitely times when it feels like I am!

Mrs4444 - Tree down? Already? Ours will be up for another couple of weeks. The chippers don't come by until Jan 12 or so... we may as well keep it up. I think I'm going to start a support group for preparation. Wanna join? :)

Melisa Wells December 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM  

I have completely neglected my reader for the month of December: THAT'S how I forgot. Or was late. Or whatever. Of course, coming down with bronchitis (diagnosed today) and hacking up a lung for the past two weeks hasn't helped me get anything done.

Of course, I don't celebrate Christmas, so yeah, you've been more stressed than I. :)

Michelle December 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

Melisa - Yikes on the bronchitis. Fingers crossed they gave you good drugs that will make it go away soon. I can imagine that puts you just a bit behind. I forgive you ;)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP