Wednesday, December 23, 2009

An Open Letter To The World

Dear World,

Can you please slow DOWN?

Please?  Pretty please?

I discussed yesterday my issue with missing out on December.  I admit that this was entirely my fault.  In fact, I did an admirable job catching up in the past twenty-four hours (all cards are written and mailed, presents are sorted and wrapped, shopping is complete, and prep for food is done).  I'm giving you some of the blame, too, though.  Since you've been pushing Christmas for so long, I no longer have the jolt that I need to start preparing for Christmas.  You've lulled me into a false sense of security that Christmas is still far away... and it's not.

But still.

It's not even Christmas yet.  I still have two full days to enjoy preparing for Christmas and the joy on my family's faces for the season.  Quit rushing me.  I want to celebrate the season, and you're making it awfully difficult.

Case in point.  A week and a half ago -- on December 11 to be exact, I received an email from our local baseball and softball organization letting me know that summer registration was now open.  Are you kidding me?  Two weeks before Christmas, and you want me to start thinking about a sport my children won't be playing for another four plus months?  Last year, I missed registration and signed up after teams had been formed, and now I know why.

Retail stores, you are not exempt.  When doing a little shopping last weekend -- a full week before Christmas, mind you, I noticed that the Christmas items were already being moved to the back and Valentine's items are being displayed.  Trust me, there's no way I'm buying any Valentine's when I don't have any Christmas cards out.

I'm slowly figuring out why I'm constantly exhausted and feeling behind.  There's no time to enjoy the moment we're in.  And I refuse to go along with the constant rushing ahead into the next "thing."  Watch out, World.  I am busy living in December.  And enjoying it.  Give me my Christmas.  I'll get back to you in February about Valentine's Day.  And in March or April about t-ball.

Love,



PS Only two days left my LOFT $200 gift card giveaway is ending on 12/25. One more week for my $200 VISA gift card giveaway.

17 comments:

Cookie December 24, 2009 at 12:49 AM  

Personally I wouldn't mind fast-forwarding to May.
But really Valentine's day stuff?? are you kidding me??

Teacher Tom December 24, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

I was in a store having it's after Christmas sale yesterday, but Valentine's Day stuff? Holy cow! We still have MLK Day and Chinese New Year between then and now. =)

Angela December 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Oh my gosh, I could not agree more. You have put into words what I could only nebulously describe. It really does feel like the whole world is just rushing headlong *ahead* of the moment we are in. To me, retail "Christmas" came earlier than ever this year; before November 5 our local Mexican resto already had its Christmas decorations up. I was like, huh? We've still got Halloween candy on the counter. And what happened to Thanksgiving? Part of that feeling rushed, at least at our house, was hubby's insistence that we get our tree that following Saturday. But yeah, I totally agree. It feels like we are always so busy looking ahead that we forget to live NOW. Ugh!

Keys to the Magic Travel December 24, 2009 at 10:07 AM  

I cannot stand that Valentine's stuff is already out. Or that they are already putting Spring clothes out. When I go to spend my gift cards...I want to buy winter things. Because...um...winter just arrived a few days ago. I might be ready for spring...but the weather man says it's not so!

Tara R. December 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

Maybe that's my problem too. I've not had the time to actually enjoy the season.

Hope your Christmas is wonderful.

Unknown December 24, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

I was in Kohl's today snatching up some last minute bargains and the Valentine's Day stuff was already out, walked a little further and WHAT! St Patrick's Day! SLOW DOWN is right. Merry Christmas Michelle!

Claudya Martinez December 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

Here's to being in the moment.

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom December 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM  

Isn't that the truth? I've been enjoying the heck out of things, but there just aren't enough minutes in the day. And if it makes you feel better, half of my Christmas cards are still in my purse - but they are getting mailed tomorrow because we took the time to get them ready! :P

Michelle December 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

Cookie - If I could *actually* fast forward to May, I might be able to deal... but I still have to live the next five months, and I would prefer to live them rather than constantly worrying about what's next.

Tom - ohhhh yeah. It's out there. And apparently I wasn't looking hard enough for the holidays after that because they're out there, too!

Angela - Yep... and I really need to live for now. Had I been living for now this month rather than rushing along, I might have made the gingerbread house Mister Man so desperately wanted to. In fact, I may make it this weekend with him. Just because I can.

Kat - Yep. We're just moving into the serious phase of winter here, too. I'd love for spring to be here, but it isn't, and I have no interest in being teased by it.

Tara - It was wonderful Christmas, thank you (my sister refusing the eat the salad whose recipe we altered specifically for her notwithstanding). :)

Megryansmom - I haven't seen that yet, but I'm not surprised. Yikes!

Unknown Mami - And what a moment it is at that!

Steph - There are never enough minutes in the day.... and rushing to the next thing only exacerbates it. But hey, if it makes you feel any better, I've been known to send out my Christmas cards for Valentine's Day :)

Pat December 26, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

That's why my hubby and I took a three-week cruise to Panama and back December 2nd - 23rd. We're retired so that's why we can bypass the pre-
Christmas craziness. But I feel your pain.

Mrs4444 December 27, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

Dang it! I missed a giveaway for a VISA card?! Grrrr

You make an excellent point. Living in the here-and-now is difficult when we are pushed forward all the time by future commitments. That's why I try to avoid looking at my calendar too often, haha.

septembermom December 27, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

You're right on all these points. I feel like I'm on a treadmill going way too fast through the year. World, please slow down.

Michelle December 27, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

Pat - I think I might invite myself along next time! So glad you are able ot miss the craziness though... it must be so nice.

Mrs4444 - Nope, still going on for another few days! And ummm thanks for the excuse of why I forget to see what's on my calendar sometimes? :)

Kelly - Yeah. The treadmill is good for certain purposes, but I definitely don't want to live on one!

Melisa Wells December 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

I loved this. Stop the world, I want to get off!!!

Michelle December 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM  

Melisa - I'm still looking for the pause button, but I promise to let you know as soon as I find it.

Hyacynth December 29, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

I'm sorry you missed December. I did, too. I really wish the world would just slow down. Such is the life of working moms, though? And we don't even work full time. I cannot imagine what it's like for the full-time working moms.

Michelle March 12, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

Hyacynth - Oh, we were far from the only ones. I know there were los of others, too. I think it's the objects expand to fill the available space theory. Working full time, things would still somehow get done. I think. Maybe. I'm not planning to test that theory though!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP