Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

Well, I've been doing the Tasty Tuesday for a few weeks. A couple days ago, I was over visiting Angela and saw someone else who thought that Tuesday was a good day to share recipes and other kitchen-y type advice. They host a carnival called Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Since I'm already posting a recipe this day, I figured I'd join in the fun. If you're visiting from Blessed With Grace and TMTT, welcome! Come visit and explore the world of Honest & Truly!

And for the rest of you, enjoy my Southwest Tortilla Stacker. This is a super easy recipe that doesn't take much time to prepare but always gets rave reviews. My mom even stole some of the leftovers from my fridge yesterday when she was watching the wee ones. She took it to bridge for lunch, and everyone in her bridge group was jealous of the "gourmet" lunch she had. Little did they know how easy it was....

I've also made this as part of my Supper Swapping, and with different families having different tastes, it's easy to alter. One family doesn't like beans very much, so I leave them out. Another likes things really spicy, so I use a spicy salsa and throw in some hot sauce to boot. Then there are those people who don't like corn... you get the idea.

Shame on me I forgot to get the before picture of ingredients, but I was in a hurry as I was trying to get two of these put together so I could drop one off for a neighbor who had just had a baby. Speaking of which, these are great to make up, stick the Pyrex on top and put it in the freezer for another meal later. Yum!



Southwest Tortilla Stacker

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts, poached (or chunks of a yummy rotisserie chicken, even better!)
3 c dried black beans, soaked overnight
3 c frozen corn
12 oz salsa (look for low sodium)
1/4 c chopped cilantro
5 flour tortillas
2 c part skim mozzarella cheese


Makes one pie that serves 8.

Prepare the black beans by soaking them overnight. Rinse the beans, then place into a pot and cover with water. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until soft.

While beans are simmering, poach chicken (pot of water, quartered onion, 2 bay leaves brought to a boil) by simmering for 20 minutes.

While chicken is poaching, chop cilantro.Add cilantro, corn, salsa to a bowl.Once chicken is cooked, shred it and add to the bowl.

Drain the beans and add them to the bowl, as well. Stir to combine.

In a 8x8 baking pan, spray lightly with nonstick spray. Layer a tortilla in the bottom.

Add 1/4 of the mixture and top with 1/2 c of mozzarella. Add a tortilla and continue laying until you place the fifth tortilla on top to end the pattern.

Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve warm or hot.




You'll notice that I have this served with my Spanish Rice. That's another super easy recipe that is soooo much better than any of the boxed rices that you'll find and really easy to make. I start the pie with the beans and chicken, move to the rice, finish the pie and start it baking while I finish up the rice. It pretty much finishes at the same time which works out nicely.

Enjoy!

21 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace January 13, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

Oh my goodness, Michelle. This looks wonderful, and you did the TMTT thing perfect. I am so glad you joined us. I hope you keep coming back on your Tasty Tuesdays!

MaBunny January 13, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Oh my Michelle! I will definitely have to make this, it looks absolutely delectable!

Live.Love.Eat January 13, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

I want to make this so can you please tell me how much chicken you used. I don't see it listed. I will probably use rotisserie chicken. Thanks, this looks awesome!!!!!!!!

Brenda January 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

I used to have this recipe and I had lost it so I am glad to have it again!

Sarah January 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

This looks great! I'm going to try it next week. Can I have your rice recipe :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet January 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

Oh, wow! That looks scrumptious!

Michelle January 13, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

Lisa - Thanks! I think you have such a neat idea. It is pretty good... I just ate the last of it for lunch.

MaBunny - It's good, and easy -- my favorite combination!

Live.Love.Eat - Ooo, good catch! I need to add that. I use about two breasts of chicken per recipe. But again, put in as much or as little as you want. I use the rotisserie chicken when we have it and poached chicken breasts when we don't. I use about 1/2 to 2/3 of the chicken when I do a rotisserie (because you know some of it I eat just off the bird and never makes it into the recipe!).

Brenda - Glad I can help! It's good, isn't it?

Sarah - I'll actually probably do the rice next Tuesday. Good excuse to come back, right? :) I figure I'm on a southwestern theme -- why stop now!

Sherry - It is (if I do say so myself). Definitely let me know what you think if you make it!

akawest January 13, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

Wow, that looks like it would be super yummy.

Aunt Julie January 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

Well, I guess I shouldn't have clicked over to your place on an empty stomach. Looks like I need to add some ingredients to my shopping list. Has Mr. Man recovered yet from his 15 Minutes of Fame?

Mary~Momathon January 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

Yum! I am a terrible cook, but I can do that! I'll make it and wow my family! Thanks!!!

Michelle January 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

Lisa - It is good. And apparently someone else has the same or a similar recipe from awhile ago and can even vouch for me!

Veggie Mom - Sorry :) Next time I'll check with your tummy before I post. And he ummm doesn't know he's famous. I'm afraid of what he'd do if he really knew!

Mary - Hey, cooking is only hard when you don't follow the instructions ;) Or choose recipes that are exacting. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Kellan January 13, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

I am definitely going to try this - my family would love this - it looks delicious! Thanks for this great recipe!

Kellan

Cookie January 13, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

That does look good! Did you come up with that recipe yourself?

Michelle January 14, 2009 at 10:17 PM  

Kellan - Go for it! And let me know what they think, too. I hope they do like it.

Cookie - I could say that I did and lie, but ... someone already said they used to have this recipe :) I did tweak it from what it was originally but I found it somewhere a long time ago.

Lora @ my blessed life January 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

This looks so good! We love Mexican food here--I'm going to print this off. Thanks!

Vanessa Rogers January 15, 2009 at 5:32 AM  

That looks mighty yummy!

Michelle January 15, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

Lora - I'm glad you think so -- I hope you like it. Look for the Spanish Rice next week!

Vanessa - Thanks! It's always nice to get the validation ;)

Angela January 16, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

Oh yum Michelle!

I can't believe it's already Friday. I'm still catching up on reading from Tuesday. but you have given me an awesome idea for how to use up the zillion tortillas we still have lurking around the house from fall...when I thought I'd be making turkey quesadillas...you know I am not a huge turkey fan, so you can imagine I still have a lot of tortillas!

Michelle January 16, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

Angela - I'm with you on not liking turkey that much. Definitely try this one out and let me know what you think!

Brooke January 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

i'm trying to introduce more and more black bean recipes into our diet (its the only bean i like) so i'll have to give this one a try.

Michelle January 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM  

Brooke - This is a good one for black beans (black bean and corn salsa is another favorite of mine!). Good luck, and I hope you like this one!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP