Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tasty Tuesday!


I don't know if this will become a regular feature or not, but I do know that I love cooking, I do it a lot, and apparently I have some unique recipes. This is definitely one of them.

Bunsteads have been around in my family for a couple generations now. It's something that my paternal grandmother made every New Years, and all her children make it every New Years, and now I make it every New Years (my sister is a vegetarian but she doesn't cook anyway).

It's one of those things that souns absolutely disgusting when you take a look at the ingredients. Or at least it does to me. And it did to my husband. In fact, the human vacuum cleaner I married almost refused to eat them the first time he saw them. Luckily, we were still in the dating phase, so he felt obligated to at least try them. He's hooked.

I'm pretty sure this recipe came about as a way to get rid of leftovers in a very Depression Era household. It has all the things that you have in the fridge after Christmas (or at least all the things *we* have in the fridge), with a few extra staple tossed in.

I tend to make up a huge batch and freeze whatever sandwiches I'm not going to eat within the next couple days. It makes a great freezer meal to pop them straight into the oven and twenty-five minutes later - mmmmm! I actually heated one up for lunch today (since we do ham for Thanksgiving, I get to make these twice a year!) and am eating it as I type.

While there is a recipe below, I don't believe that I've ever followed it exactly. I just put in what I have and however much looks right without ever measuring. It always gets eaten, and it's always delish! The only thing I tend to go light on is the mayo, as I'm not a fan of mayo, so I use just enough to get the rest of the ingredients lightly coated.

Bunsteads:

6 hamburger buns*
2 T onion (I always overshoot on this)


1/4 lb cheddar cheese (ok so it calls for American, but I think that's gross), cubed (~1 c)
2 T green pimento stuffed olives, chopped
3 hardboiled eggs, chopped (I slice them in the handy dandy egg slicer two ways and call it chopped)
1 c ham, cubed
2 T sweet pickle, chopped
2 T green pepper, chopped (I frequently omit this)
1/2 c mayo (it apparently calls for salad dressing but we've ALWAYS used mayo -- see, I told you I've never really used the recipe, and I use closer to 1/4-1/3 c when I have much more volume)

Place the buns on a square of tin foil. Spoon in enough of the mixture to make a heaping pile (the more you put in, the more falls out later, but it's all good!). Cover with the top of the bun, and fold the tin foil all around the sandwich. Cook in a 300 degree oven for twenty-five minutes (more or less). Eat immediately!

*We had only hotdog buns this time around, so I used those. It was fine, but a little messier to eat. I also used wheat bread when I ran out of buns, which was ok but got a little soggy.


Twenty-five minutes later, and you have this!







Yum!



10 comments:

Melissa B. December 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM  

Hi there! Visiting from BPOTW. Love your blog; you're quite the Scribbler! Listen, I'm up for a Pretty Neat blogging award, and I made the final cut. Yup, I'm campaigning for votes...please come by and check it out if you have a chance!

Melisa Wells December 9, 2008 at 5:26 PM  

Oh my gosh, a girl at work brings these in now and then when her mother-in-law makes them: they are in her top/favorite foods. I can't ever taste them because of the ham. Any ideas for a substitution that wouldn't be totally disgusting?

MaBunny December 9, 2008 at 6:05 PM  

Interesting... might have to try those...I have some of my grandmas recipes from Europe, lol , and they too look gross or sound funny but taste yummy...

Michelle December 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM  

Melissa - Welcome -- and thanks! I did hear about your award from somewhere; I forget where though. Good luck!

Melisa - Ummm. Funny you should mention that, as I was TOTALLY thinking of you when I wrote that post, too. Turkey maybe? I won't even pretend to suggest tofu! Good to know we aren't the only family that makes these!

Mabunny - They're good. It's always entertaining to see what all's out there, and THEN to taste it :)

Karen December 9, 2008 at 9:17 PM  

Oh my word - those look so good I could lick the screen!

Cookie December 10, 2008 at 12:05 AM  

I've never heard of those. What country are they from?

J Cosmo Newbery December 10, 2008 at 2:34 AM  

Perhaps a case for candles and subdued lighting?

WeaselMomma December 10, 2008 at 5:39 AM  

I am so not brave enough, but glad you are enjoying them.

Debbie December 10, 2008 at 8:02 AM  

The ingredients so sound icky together, but that is actually making my mouth water...and it's only 9 am...

I hear there is a Senate seat available in your great state? Do you think your governor would give it to me if I featured him on BATW? It's better than a cabinet position or campaign money isn't it?

Michelle December 10, 2008 at 9:45 PM  

Karen - Glad you think so! They are pretty tasty -- and so easy to whip up for a crew....

Cookie - Ummm. Iowa? I just know my family makes 'em :)

J Cosmo Newbery - Is that to set the mood or to hide the look of the treats?

Weaselmomma - Aww, you're no fun. Truly, they're good :) Although I've yet to convince the wee ones to try them....

Debbie - Yeah, there's one available. Unfortunately you missed your window to buy it. Governor be goin' down in flames!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP