Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Unintended Consequence

Last Tuesday was Mister Man's birthday, and we were in Florida. I reluctantly agreed that I couldn't make him a homemade cake (although we're celebrating at home tomorrow with our traditional dinner of his choice and homemade cake of his choosing, apple this year), but we still had to do a birthday. He chose an ice cream cake, and I prepared.

As I packed my bags, I made sure to include candles so that he could blow them out. I started to pack matches, too, before realizing that airline security would confiscate them since I wasn't checking any bags. That's ok. Restaurants always have matches sitting around, and I could just grab one from somewhere we went, right?

Ummmm wrong.

That indoor clean air movement? That means no one smokes inside. Which means restaurants don't have matches anymore. I asked; trust me. Neither did the hotel we stayed at. Oops.

That doesn't mean we didn't still have candles and sing to him and have him ummmm (pretend to) blow them out. After all, it's a birthday tradition, right?


Tomorrow? I've already checked. We have matches in spades. And candles. Now to figure out how to make an apple cake....

Think Pink this October and share your story of how breast cancer touched you; learn more and enter a Think Pink giveaway
Ready to go shopping? You can if you win this $100 Red Envelope GC
Come see the circus in Chicago with a 4 pack of tickets to see Ringling Brothers

9 comments:

Debbie October 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM  

Happy birthday to the boy! Yay! Yep, no matches anywhere anymore. For future reference - drugstores and convenience stores all sell cigarettes, and therefore also cheap lighters. Not that I would know this of course. LOL. Also, the check is in the mail - :)

Tara R. October 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM  

Wow.. I never thought about restaurants, even in smoke free Florida, not having matches any longer.

Happy belated Birthday to Mister Man.

Laural Out Loud October 21, 2011 at 12:45 AM  

That's our tradition, too! Dinner and cake, both of the birthday celebrant's choosing. I love baking those birthday cakes. And how cool is it that you put the candles on anyway!

anymommy October 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM  

Improv is the spice of motherhood. Happy birthday to your boy. Hope the apple cake was excellent.

Claudya Martinez October 22, 2011 at 12:01 AM  

Happy Birthday to Mister Man!

Joanna Jenkins October 23, 2011 at 12:40 AM  

Huh?!?!? No candles in a restaurant. Wow, I've never heard of that before.

Happy birthday to Mr. Man.

xo jj

Lisa Noel October 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM  

well I guess I can make this #1 for my list of Pros, for having a husband that smokes. there is ALWAYS a lighter handy. hope he had fabulous birthday, take two at home!

Michelle November 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM  

Debbie - I should have known to ask you ;) I think we were just exhausted at that point, and our brains weren't working.

Tara - Yeah... me neither. I wonder where those marketing dollars went?

Laural - It's awesome, isn't it? I love that tradition of dinner and cake. If I brought those candles all the way to Florida and remembered to pack them, you can be SURE they're making it on the cake ;)

Stacey - It absolutely is the spice. I use it a lot....

Unknown Mami - Aww thanks :)

Joanna - Oops, they had the candles in the restaurant. This was back at the hotel.

Michelle November 7, 2011 at 8:40 PM  

Lisa - Yep, see... there's your pro right there. You knew there had to be one somewhere, right?

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP