Friday, October 28, 2011

Perfectly Imperfect

I try to bring my camera with me wherever I go. It doesn't always happen, and even sometimes when the camera is with me, I forget about it or I'm not fast enough or it's out of batteries. That doesn't deter me, though, as I work to capture the memories for myself and my family.

I have to use my camera. My brain is broken, and I can't remember anything otherwise.

The wee ones don't always cooperate, however. They don't like having their pictures taken in a given moment or they want it too much and get goofy and the moment I was trying to capture is lost.

Looking through the images that I've captured on my "fancy" camera, as Little Miss calls it, I'm struck by the variety of images that I save. They aren't the perfect ones by dictionary definition, but they're the ones that capture the personalities of the wee ones. They're the ones that show their characters and imperfections - sticky fingers and all.


It's those photos and those moments that give me hope, that tel me - yes, I can use this medium as a way to capture a single moment in time that passes before I blink. I look again at some of the images that I would have discarded because they are so imperfect or because I missed the expression and emotion I was trying to capture. I look at the ones where I so obviously let the wee ones dress themselves, and I see possibility.


It's all about my perspective. We are all imperfect, and it's those moments that we do need to capture. When I change my perspective, it suddenly does become a perfect moment for me - for us.

And that's a lesson I need to remember to apply in my life whenever the imperfection starts to overwhelm me. Because with the right perspective, it's all perfect.

Yes, that's the same photo - just cropped to change my perspective.

This post was inspired by a series of words and created in five minutes at a Hallmark event several weeks ago. I love the concept so much that I'm looking at expanding it, as there is so much word and inspiration from just three randomly drawn words - mine were camera, fancy, sticky, and broken. Any interest in participating in a randomly drawn word post linky?

Come enter a very very fast giveaway ending Sunday night for a Freschetta coupon and two sets of earbuds

5 comments:

Tami October 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM  

What a gorgeous angel you have! Photos are a priceless treasure. My husband also loves taking photos. I may be biased, but my favorite pictures that he takes are of my boys.

Sandra October 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM  

Love the change in perspective of the same photo. The second one is stunning. Little Miss is beautiful!

Claudya Martinez October 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM  

Great post. Your daughter is beautiful.

Pat October 29, 2011 at 7:48 AM  

Wonderful post, Michelle. Changing one's perspective on a difficult experience/person is often eye-opening and positive.

Michelle November 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM  

t.t. millers - Aww thank you! I love the pictures of children that we take - capturing their spirits. Looking back, it's sometimes hard to believe they ever were that way.

Sandra - Why thank you! She's quite the little imp. It's AMAZING how many teen boys she charmed last night trick or treating in her storm trooper costume. Adorable :)

Unknown Mami - Aww you're too sweet!

Pat - It is difficult but once you do, it's so worth it. It's a challenge though!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP