Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Crockpot Applesauce

I mentioned last week about our oh so fun trip to the apple orchard last week. We came home with a ton of apples. Somehow, we've gone through most of them - that whole apple a day thing means we probably won't see a doctor for years - but I'm working on doing some fun things with them, too. Mister Man has asked for an apple cake for his birthday, so I'll be doing that shortly. Yesterday, however, I made the easiest and yummiest ever applesauce in my crock pot. Less than 10 minutes of prep and eight hours later was bliss. Bliss. It's possible that I've ate just the applesauce for lunch today.


Crockpot Applesauce

Ingredients:
8ish apples
1/2 c brown sugar
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1 T lemon juice
1/2 c water

Directions:
This is extremely forgiving, so play with it and don't worry about being exact. I also put in a few sprinkles of allspice with the nutmeg and cinnamon, which was a great addition. See? Forgiving. The best kind of cooking!

I like my applesauce chunky, and I like it with the skins on, which is why I don't often buy applesauce in the store. I don't peel my apples before making this, but if you don't like the skins (which get very soft here and are more just a little texture), feel free to peel them first. But hey - this also save a ton of time!

Chop your apples into pieces, and place them into your crockpot. Make sure that you choose a crockpot that is an appropriate size for the apples you're cooking. You always want your crockpot to be more than half full, and this particular crock pot wants it at least two-thirds full.


Place the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and any potential allspice on top of the apples. Add the lemon juice and water, then close the lid and turn your crockpot on low.

See, I told you - way under 10 minutes prep, right?


Let it sit for eight hours on that low setting, and your applesauce will be ready. You don't need to stir the sugar and cinnamon into the apples, so don't open that lid once you've placed it on. By the end of eight hours, the apples will be cooked through. Open up the crock pot and stir gently to keep it nice and chunky. That's it.


We enjoyed it warm right away, but it's also great once it's been chilled in the fridge. The apples start out huge, but it's amazing how much this cooks down. We have applesauce only for the next day or two before it's gone. I need to buy some more apples. Trust me on this one!

Enjoy this and more with Blessed With Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Also posting now with A Southern Fairytale and her Mouthwatering Monday.

Think Pink this October and share your story of how breast cancer touched you; learn more and enter a Think Pink giveaway
Ready to go shopping? You can if you win this $100 Red Envelope GC
Come see the circus in Chicago with a 4 pack of tickets to see Ringling Brothers

5 comments:

Tara R. October 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM  

I am so glad you posted this recipe! I will be making some this week.

septembermom October 19, 2011 at 6:43 AM  

Can you believe I don't have a crockpot? I guess that I should get one!

Pat October 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM  

This looks amazingly easy and mouth-wateringly delicious! I like the no-peeling part, too.

Chris November 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM  

Hi there, this looks like a nice easy recipe for making applesauce and I do have a crockpot which I never use, so it's time to put it to good use. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

Michelle December 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM  

Tara - You wouldn't believe how often I've made this since posting it. So yummy and easy!

Kelly - Oddly, I was watching "Good Eats" the other day and realized that Crock Pots were only invented in 1968 and popularized in the '70s then relegated to garage sales etc until the mid/late '90s. Definitely go buy one.

Pat - Me, too. Plus, it's added fiber, right?

Chris - This is definitely a good and easy use for your crockpot. I am actually making more again tomorrow.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP