Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - S'mores Cookies

This past weekend, we had some friends over. On a whim, I offered to let Mister Man come up with the menu for the dinner himself. I'm not sure if it was just me being uninspired or me trying to get him to think more independently and gain some additional self-confidence, but the move paid off beautifully.

His choices? Bagel dogs, bacon and cheddar stuffed burgers, homemade sweet potato fries, and s'mores cookies. Yep, s'mores cookies. How fun was that? I've made s'mores pizza before, but not cookies. We got a little creative and riffed off an oatmeal cookie base, and they turned out awesome. I still have a couple left, but shhhh don't tell anyone!


S'mores Cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 c butter, softened
1/4 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 T honey
1 t vanilla
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
3/4 baking soda
2 c oats
1/3 c cocoa
1 1/4 c flour
1 c chocolate chips
1 c mini marshmallows
4 full size graham crackers, crumbled coarsely

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350.

Beat brown sugar, butter and granulated sugar in a bowl until lightened in color and texture, just like any other cookie. Add egg, honey, and vanilla, then beat again until well blended.

Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa. Mix well. Add the oats and mix on low until combined. Add the flour and mix on low again until the flour is almost gone but not completely. Stir in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.

Drop the dough onto parchment paper or sil pat covered cookie sheets. Press a small bit of graham crackers into the top of each cookie ball.


Bake the cookies 15-17 minutes, erring on the side of you think they aren't done yet. Because of the oats, they taste better slightly underdone. Once they crack on top, they're good to go. If you bake them longer, they'll be crispier once they've cooled and the oats have absorbed more of the moisture in the cookie. Let them cool on baking sheets for five minute before removing to cool on wire racks the rest of the way.


We love this new twist on s'mores, and so did our guests. Mister Man did a great job on his menu selection. He was so proud, and I was, too. We're definitely doing this again. Yum.

Enjoy this and more with Blessed With Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Also posting now with A Southern Fairytale and her Mouthwatering Monday.

Enter to win a strawberries cook book
You could also win Giddy Snacks for a week - 2 winners
Win a Lawry's seasoning pack

3 comments:

Heather August 16, 2011 at 4:19 PM  

Omg. I knew I shouldnt have clicked this link! OMG so delish sounding! :)

Tara R. August 16, 2011 at 7:52 PM  

Perfect timing. I just won a s'mores kit so I have all the ingredients. I know what I'm making this week.

Michelle November 29, 2011 at 2:35 PM  

Heather - I'm so sorry. But ohhh were they good. Someday you can have them, right? :)

Tara - Sweet! Congrats on winning the s'mores kit, too. I hope they were awesome!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP