Monday, August 29, 2011

Foiled By A First Grader

We've officially made it through the first week of school. Little Miss has decided that she isn't a fan, and she doesn't hesitate to let me know her opinions.

Mommy, I don't like school, she announces as she gets off the bus.

Oh, Sweetie. Whyever not? I stumble and stall as I try to figure out how to mitigate this - and quickly.

Well, the day is wayyyyyyyyyy too long. And they make me work hard. And I don't like to work hard, she states quite matter of factly, like it should be obvious to everyone.

I sigh. Yes, but you have to work hard to get what you want in life, Sweet Pea. You have to work hard and study so that you can learn all the important things you need to know in life. When you have a job, there are all sorts of skills that you need that you can only learn by working hard. Doctors have to know lots about science. Engineers have to know lots about math. Geologists have to know lots of science, too. What do you want to be when you grow up? I smiled triumphantly, sure that I had the infallible argument behind me.

I want to be a bus drive when I grow up! she exclaimed excitedly.

Oh? Yeah. So much for that infallible argument. I'm still marshaling my resources on this one. Any suggestions? Other than boarding school, that is. I came up with that one all on my own.



7 comments:

Melisa Wells August 30, 2011 at 8:11 AM  

Nope, I would just resort to the "Because I said so" method. But I have a feeling you're doing that.

Pat August 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM  

HI-larious. A friend of mine, who was a teacher and her husband, a school superintendent, asked her son (in class, second grade) along with the other children, what they wanted to be when they grew up and Eric, her son, said, "a gas station guy." He was thinking of his uncle, who owned a gas station, and did quite well for himself. Now Eric is almost 34 and is in sales (financial products?) and does very well.

Heather August 31, 2011 at 8:11 AM  

She's precious. And if being a bus driver makes her happy, so be it. hahahahaha.

Tara R. August 31, 2011 at 5:31 PM  

My daughter once told me she wanted to drive a zamboni at night, and be a Wal-Mart greeter during the day... this was when she was in high school. Thankfully she out grew those ambitions.

Love that photo of Little Miss.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com September 1, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

Hey, you have to be educated to drive a bus. A license doesn't just appear on your doorstep.

Susie September 3, 2011 at 8:45 AM  

I volunteer in the classroom! Knowing you are going to show up, scares the fun back into the school day:-) LOL!

septembermom September 9, 2011 at 4:13 PM  

She is going to be a force to be reckoned with in this world! Go girl power! She speaks her mind :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP