Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Baked Peaches

Yesterday was Little Miss's birthday. Tomorrow is my dad's birthday. And Sunday? My husband's birthday. No offense, guys, but I get a little birthday-ed out, especially because everyone seems to insist on having a different cake for each birthday. That's a lot of cake to eat.

I finally gave up this year and refused. My husband lost out. I didn't make him a cake, but he was totally ok with that. Why? Because I made him something else yummy - and much faster and easier. And maybe even healthier?

PS My inspiration came from Italy where we were served these one night - and I remembered that I used to make these years and years ago (before I met my husband).


Baked Peaches

Ingredients:
5 or so peaches - slightly less than fully ripe is best
2 T butter
3 T brown sugar
1 1/2 T dark rum (or brandy or cognac or amaretto)
1/2 c Amaretti cookies (or almond cookies), crushed

Directions:
Cut the peaches in half and remove the pit. Place them cut side up in a glass baking dish.

Place the cookies into a bag and proceed to crush them - a rolling pin works well. Add the brown sugar and shake until it's well mixed up.


Place the butter in the bag and smoosh it around until it's well combined. Add the rum (or other alcohol) and smoosh some more.

Place a dollop of the cookie mixture into each half of the peach.

Bake the peach halves in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until the juices are bubbling.


Serve while they're still warm (you can make it all ahead up to the baking point if you do this for company) either by themselves or with ice cream. Yum.


Have you ever heard of Amaretti cookies?


They're a really neat Italian cookie that is really super crunchy. They are tiny, which is sorta cool. You can buy them at produce stores by me. Otherwise, feel free to substitute another super crunchy almond type cookie.


Enjoy this and more with Blessed With Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Also posting now with A Southern Fairytale and her Mouthwatering Monday.

Need to get organized? Enter to win a BusyBodyBook Organizer

5 comments:

Pat August 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM  

I've gotta make these before fresh peach season is over!! Peaches are one of my favorite fruits. I'll have to search for super crunchy cookies.

Tara R. August 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM  

There is a little produce stand near me, fresh baskets of Georgia peaches. I know what I'm making this week.

Unknown August 3, 2011 at 9:16 PM  

These look amazing. Definitely going to try!

Michelle August 11, 2011 at 10:41 PM  

Pat - I was thinking about this... if you can't find some of these, try ginger cookies. I bet gingersnaps would be great with this!

Tara - Ohhh I'm jealous. I was driving somewhere the other day and cutting it close or I would have stopped by a great little stand. Now I have to remember where it was. Oops.

Anna - So amazing. And oh so yummy. Let me know what you think if you make them :)

septembermom August 13, 2011 at 11:16 AM  

Good one to try. Looks yummy! Thanks.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP