Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins

There was a bake sale at Mister Man's school last week. Remember those and how fun they were to pick and choose what you wanted from all the great bakers in the community, ooooing and ahhhing over the delectable delights? Most schools no longer allow this or just have store bought items (boo!), but we're lucky that ours still allows a bake sale from homemade goodies. Of course, I had to bake, too.

I couldn't choose something easy or simple that I knew a lot of people would be making. No brownies or chocolate chip cookies or sugar cookies for me. I had to find something that I thought would be unique for the bake sale but still appealing and somewhat seasonal. I finally decided to make pumpkin chocolate muffins, and they were awesome. Even better, they were dairy and nut free, so some students who normally can't purchase treats were able to enjoy them, too.


Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1 15oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
3 c flour
2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt
2 c chocolate chunks (mini chips work, I chopped a bar of dark chocolate)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (I always bake with my convection oven, which means I preheat to 300 for baking - mine has a great feature that recalculates the temp and time for baked goods using a convection). You can make these regular size muffins (about 2 dozen) or mini muffins (up to 8 dozen). Either grease your tins or line them with muffins papers.

Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until it's lighter in color and has grown in volume. Add the pumpkin puree and oil, and beat again.


Add the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to the bowl and mix well. Add the flour and stir slowly until mostly blended. While there are still some white streaks add the chocolate chunks/chips. I would not use full size chips if you're making mini muffins. And the unique shapes that chopping a bar of chocolate adds was pretty cool in the muffins, something I would definitely do again.



Add the batter to the muffin tins, filling about 2/3 of the way full. Bake in your 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, until a tester comes clean (or they spring back when you touch them - with mini muffins, especially, I go for the touch test when baking). Let the muffins cool a couple minutes, then remove them from their pans. If your muffins are stuck to the pans, check out my cool solution. Because, yes, some of my muffins stuck. I successfully rescused them all, however.


Enjoy this and more with Blessed With Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Also posting now with A Southern Fairytale and her Mouthwatering Monday.

7 comments:

Tami December 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM  

This recipe is very similar to the one I use for zucchini bread. Sounds yummy!!!!!

Michelle December 7, 2011 at 8:45 AM  

Tami - They are SO good. I actually have another can of pumpkin, and I'm thinking I'll make them for a special weekend breakfast this weekend (no sugar for school breakfasts, though this doesn't really have THAT much, esp with the dark chocolate).

Jenn M December 7, 2011 at 12:40 PM  

Yum! I made these last night with just a few substitutions for the flour and they still turned out delicious.. Thanks so much!

Tara R. December 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM  

I just so happen to have a can of pumpkin in my pantry. These sound wonderful.

Michelle December 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

Jenn - Awesome. So glad to hear that you were able to make them GF and they still tasted great. That's about the only substitution I don't know how to do :)

Tara - A can of pumpkin in the pantry is *always* a good thing, right?

Unknown December 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM  

LOVE pumpkin chocolate muffins!!

Michelle December 15, 2011 at 8:43 PM  

Cris - Me, too! I'm thinking these are a perfect treat to make again over break. Actually, I could go for one right about now!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP