Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Tomato Basil Cups

I love the holidays and entertaining and baking. This past week, I hosted a cookie exchange (the cookie recipe comes next week, I promise) with friends, and we had a blast. I also made a Pillsbury recipe (see my post on why over on my review blog) - or at least my take on a Pillsbury recipe. It was absolutely delicious and so easy to prepare. In fact, when I hosted bunco on Friday, I made it again because it was so quick and easy and yummy.

Pillsbury has the original Tomato Basil Cup recipe on their site, but you know me. I had to adjust it and tweak it. And I think I like my changes.


Tomato Basil Cups
1 8 oz package cream cheese
1/2 c fresh Parmesan (or, ahem, more)
12 cherry tomatoes (or more)
1 1/2 T dried basil
2 T milk
1 package Pillsbury Grands, original flavor
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease your muffin tins. This makes 16 servings, so grease the right number of tins. If you have only 6 count tins, add a bit of water to the cups that will be empty to keep the tins from warping in the oven without something baking in it.

Make sure your cream cheese is as room temperature, and mix it with the basil, milk, and Parmesan. Add a little salt and pepper to taste. It doesn't take much, as the Parmesan is already salty.



Gently split each Grand in half, peeling it apart with your fingers. Stretch each round of dough slightly and place it in an empty muffin tin so that the edges are atop the tin. Place a dollop of the filling inside the Grand. Remember that the cream cheese and Parmesan will be very rich, so don't put too much in there.

Quarter the cherry tomatoes, and carefully place three tomato quarters atop each cup. Or cut up more tomatoes and put more there, but three seemed to be a good fit, though these were large cherry tomatoes.


Bake at 350 for 10 or so minutes, until the dough is a beautiful golden brown. Serve immediately or at room temperature and watch them disappear!


Enjoy this and more with Blessed With Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Also posting now with A Southern Fairytale and her Mouthwatering Monday.

7 comments:

Tara R. December 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM  

Those sound tasty, and they're pretty.

Pat December 13, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

These sound mouth-watering! Too bad I'm not eating cheese, eggs, red meat or anything high in fat. I'm sticking to this regimen for 3 months and then having my cholesterol checked again in mid-January. If it's still high, it must be hereditary and I'm going back to eating what I like!

Michelle December 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

Tara - They are, aren't they? I'm definitely keeping these in the rotation for future get togethers. SO easy and tasty, too.

Pat - Wowww. So umm what ARE you eating? :) I'm not sure whether to cross my fingers that your cholesterol goes down or stays where it is!

Sandra December 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM  

I don't usually bake savory goodies, but this may alter my ways. Great idea for appetizers or finger foods! Thanks!

Michelle December 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM  

Sandra - When you entertain, you have to have something savory. These were really good. I heated up the last couple for breakfast the past few days, and they actually were really good in the morning, too!

Melisa Wells December 27, 2011 at 10:20 PM  

Okay, YUM.

Michelle January 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM  

Melisa - Yep :) I figured this might be up your alley. You'll have to come over for a party when I make these one day....

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP