Friday, October 22, 2010

Falling Into Fall

Today is our first real fally-type day in Chicago that we've had since mid-September. At least in my opinion. Before today, it's always been warm enough by mid day that I've wanted to take off my jacket and change into a not quite so heavy sweater. Today I wore my fleece jacket into the gym where Little Miss had open gym.

Oh. And the leaves are really falling. Our trees are getting to that almost but not quite bare part where you can start to see the ghosts the wee ones made and hung up in one of our trees.

The wee ones are fascinated with the falling leaves. They remember a few years back when my husband raked up all the leaves into huge piles for them to jump into. They want to do it again. Since it's been so nice here lately, we've been spending a lot of time outside every day, and the wee ones decided they'd do their own raking.

I'm not about to stop them from their industry by telling them that they can't. Instead, I get down the rake... and then down our outdoor broom since no one wants to be left out of the fun job of raking. The wee ones will spend thirty or forty minutes raking the leaves. Mister Man focuses on trying to keep the leaves from blowing away - a somewhat hopeless task given how windy it's been lately, while Little Miss drags the leaves from wherever she finds them - generally far from the already raked pile - and uses the broom to try to pull a few of them to the pile.

It's adorable. It isn't very effective, but they're having a blast.

Today my husband truly raked the leaves, and Little Miss of course requested a leaf pile. She even got out her broom all on her own to help.



And once the leaf pile was raked, she spent the next twenty minutes jumping in it and burying herself in the leaves. I had a blast, too. Now the trouble is trying to figure out which picture to put into the calendar for next year.










Shhhhh, don't tell Mister Man what we did while he was at school today!



***

Current Giveaways:

Wendy's gift card here
$40 gift card to 1-800-Flowers.com here
Two Aquaphor Wonder Sets here

7 comments:

Dawn Parsons Smith October 22, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

OH!!! I miss the leaves! Living in AZ we don't have the seasonal change and my heart aches each October! I can "smell" those leaves right now!

What a great post! Love your photos!

(huge Halloween giveaway on my blog! Love to have you over!)

Tara R. October 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

So many wonderful snaps to choose from. I have lots of pine needles, but sadly few fall leaves.

Pat October 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

Oh, what fun, jumping in a pile of leaves! My favorite photo of Little Miss is the fourth posted photo down, where she is looking over her shoulder as she sits in the leaf pile--adorable!

It's so great to make chores a fun game for kids!

septembermom October 23, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

We always have a blast playing in the leaves. It's fun to jump in with the kids too! Cute pictures, Michelle :)

Michelle October 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM  

Dawn - You definitely don't get many leaves falling there! I love the smells of fall; it's definitely something I'd miss were I to live in a warm climate.

Tara - I love it when Little Miss cooperates with the photos. She definitely doesn't always!

Pat - It is fun, isn't it? I need a bigger pile for me to jump into though. Call me chicken, butthat one jut doesn't cut it....

Kelly - Thanks. I love that you jump in the leaves, too. Who does the raking by you?

Anonymous December 2, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

Just reading your post and seeing your pictures reminds me of playing in piles of leaves many many years ago. I can still smell them. We used to get really elaborate and instead of making piles, my friends and I would make houses by using the leaves to form an outline of our rooms. We each designed our own floor plan and then we would play in "house" until my dad made us rake them up! Great memories.

Michelle December 6, 2010 at 7:20 PM  

Zooma - Oh how fun! I think we'll have to do that next year in the back yard where we have more leaves. What a neat idea!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP