Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

I am a carb person. I love carbs. I think some of it was spending time in Europe as a child, but to me few meals are complete without some sort of bread. That includes eating pasta with bread, of course. And post-Thanksgiving, I've been known to make sandwiches (more as a child, but still) of leftover mashed potatoes and dressing.

Biscuits are another favorite of mine, especially fresh and right out of the oven. I'm not a huge fan, however, of the taste of overly processed ones, and I love to make them from scratch. When I first sought to do so, I literally could not find a recipe that didn't include Bisquick. And I stubbornly didn't want to use Bisquick, as that seemed like cheating to me.

I whined about this to my mom who looked at me blankly, as she'd never made biscuits in her life. She finally suggested talking to my grandmother who fortunately had one recipe that didn't call for Bisquick - yay!

These are super easy to make, and we rarely have leftovers. They do require a little bit of labor. Personally, I think it's well worth it in the end.

Gram's Biscuits

Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter, cold
2 c. flour
1 T baking powder
1/4 t salt
2 t sugar
1/2 t cream of tartar
2/3 c. milk


Directions:
Makes 10 biscuits

Mix all dry ingredients together in medium sized bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until pieces are pea sized (if you go more, it won't be fluffy!). If you don't have a pastry cutter, you can use two knives, but go out and buy a pastry cutter. They're so much fun to use!

Add the milk and stir with a spatula until JUST combined. Knead 10-12 strokes with your hands and turn out to a lightly floured surface.

Roll to 1/2" thickness and use a 2 1/2 c glass to cut into biscuits. You can reroll the dough to get all ten biscuits. For the glass, I like to use tall tumblers because the opening is the size I like to make my biscuits, but this isn't that particular. To keep the dough from sticking to the glass, dip it in flour periodically.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes.


Enjoy! And no, there aren't any pictures. Remember what I said about not having leftovers? Oops.

Enjoy more fun recipes at TMTT with Blessed by Grace!

13 comments:

Kori August 11, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Ooo I love homemade biscuits hot out of the oven with butter and honey. Oh so good.

Roxane August 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

Oh sweet carbs how I love thee!
My sister and I were just discussing the wonder of biscuits and gravy... I might have to give it a try when the temperature comes down from the 90's!

septembermom August 11, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

I'm a carb person too! You should hear me at the dinner table, "please pass me another biscuit". I don't know what I would do without carbs. Thanks for the recipe.

Claudya Martinez August 11, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

I'm a carb person too! They bring me joy.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace August 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

Carbs.... yum!

pseudostoops August 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

I, too, love carbs.

How much butter do you need? (I don't see it in the ingredient list, but I can't imagine biscuits without butter...)

annies home August 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM  

hubby is a biscut lover I will try your recipe and see if I can make him smile thanks

Angela August 11, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

Hey stranger! I've not actually disappeared off the face of the earth, even though it probably seems it. I have a lot of catching up to do and this is a yummy place to start!!

I ADORE biscuits. Growing up in the South, biscuits were practically a food group. And I totally agree, Bisquick is not at all the same.

When I make homemade biscuits, I always cut them in squares, to avoid rolling and rerolling scraps of dough (that also can make later batches tough). Super quick and easy, even homemade! (and no waste!)

Okay, now you've made me crave biscuits. Seriously!!

Brenda August 11, 2009 at 11:17 PM  

These look good, you don't see a lot of recipes with cream of tartar

Dawn Parsons Smith August 12, 2009 at 2:11 AM  

I'm with Kori! Honey and butter on warm biscuits...heavenly!

Michelle August 12, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

Kori - Would you believe I've never had them with honey? I think I need to try that next time. Mmmm.

Roxane - Well, yes. That is probably a good idea :) I'm not the biggest fan of cooking in the heat myself, but....

Kelly - I'm with you... and so are the wee ones. Last night, they happily would have eaten plain spaghetti with plain bread had I not insisted they intersperse that somewhat with proteins and veggies.

Unknown Mami - Don't they though? I could never do that whole South Beach thing. I love my carbs too much!

Lisa - Good summary!

pseudostoops - Ummm thanks! See, someone was actually reading the recipe. It requires a half cup. Recipe is now adjusted -- thank you!

shopannies - It makes me smile, so hopefully it will do the same for him :)

Angela - I was beginning to wonder... I sorta like the squares idea, although the cups are so much fun! I usually don't reroll the scraps but just manually and gently form them into circlish like shapes. I may have to try squares next time.

Brenda - Not at all. I have my cream of tartar almost exclusively reserved for my biscuits and making play dough.

Bee and Rose - With two of you espousing its virtues, I'm going to defintely have to try it out.

Mrs4444 August 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM  

You don't look like a carb person, haha. These look yummy!

Michelle August 13, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Barb - I don't *look* like a carb person, huh? It's alll about the moderation, really. Someday I'll have to post exactly what I've eaten for a week :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP