Monday, July 20, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

As I mentioned yesterday, I made skate for dinner. Both the wee ones gobbled it up and enjoyed it. My husband also enjoyed it but pointed out that it was only so so on its own. The sauce really made the dish (well, DUH, that's why I made the sauce). He also complained that it was hard to eat, but that was partly because he was hungry and didn't listen to my instructions of how to remove the fish from it's bone!

Regardless, skate is a great tender fish that was wonderful for $2.99/pound. This is generally cooked by pan frying in butter and making a brown butter sauce. I went another way, and I really enjoyed it.

Again, sorry that I have no pics this week, but it was devoured immediately! I didn't have time to take any. I think that's a good thing, right?

Skate with Green Sauce

Ingredients:
1 skate wing (ours was about 1 1/4 pound and enough for four with solid sides)
2 T oil
1 egg, beaten
1/3 c flour
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 cloves garlic
1/2 t (more) salt
1 T anchovy paste (you can omit this if you're squeamish)
1 T capers, drained and rinsed
1 T whole grain mustard
2 T fresh chopped basil
1 T fresh chopped cilantro
1 T fresh chopped parsley
2 T olive oil
1 lime, juiced
1/2 t (additional) black pepper


Directions:
Start by making the sauce -- Make a garlic paste with the garlic and salt. Chop the garlic fine, then add 1/2 t salt and use the side of the knife to scrape across the garlic until it forms a paste. Place this into a small bowl, and add the anchovies, capers, mustard, hers, 2 T olive oil, lime juice, and black pepper. Whisk until it starts to emulsify.

Heat a large large large fry pan on the stove. If your fish is larger than the bottom of the pan, cut the fish! Add oil to the pan just before you're ready to put the fish in.

Pat the fish dry. Place the egg into a wide dish and beat, then coat the fish in the egg. Coat the fish with flour and shake off the excess. Repeat the egg and flour layers.

Add the fish to the pan, and cook on each side for about five minutes (for a nice thick piece). When you flip it, use a fork to check to be sure that the flesh is white and firm and flakes away easily. You do not want to overcook this!

Once the fish is cooked, remove it from the pan and the pan from the heat. Add the sauce to heat it through quickly, then pour the sauce over the fish.

To remove the fish from the bone, use the side of a large fork to scrape the meat off the bone starting at the top and working your way to the base. This fish has lots of flexible bones, so some may come off as you remove the fish. They're easy to pick out, so no worries there. Even Mister Man was able to pick them out when needed! Once you have all the meat removed from one side, flip the fish and repeat the process.


Check out recipes like this at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed by Grace each week.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ July 20, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

Hahah, I'm like, "Oops, typo!" Thinking you meant STEAK!!! I'm an idiot!

Kori July 21, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

Stake? Really? I don't even know where we could get something like that around here. I'll just have to come visit you to try it. lol

MaBunny July 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM  

LOL I'm with Manic - i thought you meant steak, hehe. Never heard of Skate fish...

Cookie July 21, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

I dunno, this one just doesn't sound good to me. I'm with mister man on this one ;)

septembermom July 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

My kids freak out about fish. They have no desire to eat it. Maybe I can trick them and say it's chicken. Thanks Michelle for sharing this recipe. Who knows? It may wind up working for my family :)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace July 21, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

I have seen people cook with this fish on Food Network but never cooked it, or seen it to buy, myself. Good for you!! Thanks for sharing with TMTT.

Brenda July 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM  

I've never tried skate before but I love fish and this recipe looks delicious!

Michelle July 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

Steph - You are SO not an idiot... c'mon, my husband had never heard of it either. And I'd only had it once previously.

Kori - Skate :) Really. It was at our local produce market, so who knows... apparently it's one of the "new popular" fish. But hey, you visit, I'll cook it!

Marcy - You're not alone. It was pretty cool though!

Cookie - You just have to eat with your mouth on this one and turn your brain off. I have to admit I had second thoughts after reading what it was but then remembered that I HAD liked it.

Kelly - Umm I don't think they'd go for chicken! The wee ones LOVE salmon, tuna and tilapia, but the fishy fishes? We don't go there. And by we, I mean me, too!

Lisa - Really? I actually looked on their site for a recipe and failed miserably! It's pretty good.

Brenda - You can probably find it in SF. We ate it all up. Quickly.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP