Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Surprise Brownies

So. I'm headed to a pot luck, and I need to bring a side and a dessert. That's easy, right? Fortunately I can once again cook inside because it's only 50 degrees outside in the middle of June, thank you very much Chicago. Inspiration, however, is not striking. I can't decide what I want to make.

I don't feel like doing truffles again - since I made four batches to get through all my needed teacher gifts this week already. I'm not up for batches of cookies. I want to do something new, but because it's going to a potluck, it can't be something that is delicate or has to be reheated, and preferably it should be a finger food. Oh, and use eggs since I have a lot of eggs in the house.

Hmmm....

A ha! Brownies. But not just any brownies. I made brownies with a surprise inside, and oh were they good. I'm now sharing the recipe not just with my two friends who were at the potluck (and requested the recipe) but with all of you. Sadly, they're gone on my end.


Surprise Brownies

Ingredients:
1 c butter (2 sticks)
4 oz good quality chocolate, chopped
2 c sugar
4 eggs
1/2 t vanilla
1 t strong coffee or coffee extract
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 t salt
20 chocolate candies like Rollos or filled Hershey's Kisses, etc OR make a ganache like from last week's truffle and use little balls of those

Directions:
Melt together over low heat in a heavy saucepan, or in a double boiler, the chocolate and butter. You want it to look like this:


Remove the chocolate from the heat, and stir in the sugar. I use a whisk for this and most of the rest of the steps to ensure I'm getting lots of air incorporated into the batter so that they are light and fluffy and rise well, as there is no leavening agent in here.

Add the eggs one at a time, and whisk well to incorporate. If you've removed the chocolate from the heat and added the sugar, this should have lowered the temperature of the mixture enough that you won't have scrambled eggs now. The eggs are going to provide lots of your lift, so whisk well.


Add the vanilla and coffee / coffee extract, and mix until fully combined.


Add the salt and mix to stir. The add the flour. Now is when you put away the whisk and gently fold the flour in with your spatula. (Video showing the art of folding on this post for cheese souffle.) You want to fold it until the flour is just combined so that as little gluten as possible forms and your brownies don't get tough or filled with little air bubbles. Trust me.



Fill muffin cups with batter about two-thirds of the way full. I use my mid size cookie scoop for this one, and it's perfect - plus it makes them the same size so they bake evenly. I love my kitchen gadgets!


Add your candies to the center of each brownie. I don't have to tell you to unwrap them first, do I? Nah, I've got faith in you! I placed mine upside down, and that worked perfectly.


Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, until your cake tester comes out clean. Every oven is different, and mine tends to take longer to bake - for me it was closer to 24 minutes, but I have to bake longer for every recipe. Just keep an eye on them, as you don't want them to overbake and get dry.


I simply sprinkled a little powdered sugar on them after letting them cool fully on a cookie rack, and they were good to go. And go they did! Yum. Enjoy this and more with Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Blessed With Grace!

Win a Kung Fu Panda 2 Prize Pack here
Win a $50 Wal-Mart gift card and a Cooking Matters gift bag here

10 comments:

Anonymous June 14, 2011 at 8:25 AM  

OMG! Those look delicious! hmm Chocolate Heaven :)

Unknown June 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM  

Yummy!! These look great! I am having a baking linky party on my blog today! Would love for you to come and link up!!

Happy Tuesday!
Http://twomaidsamilking.blogspot.com

Tara R. June 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

Just gained five pounds reading this recipe. Sounds delicious!

Pat June 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

Oh, if I ever made these, it would have to be for a potluck or I'd eat almost all of them. Made my mouth water just reading about them! I CANNOT resist chocolate.

I'm going to make brownies with a finely diced jalapeno pepper in it for a Mexican-themed potluck I'm going to tomorrow. I'll warn everyone ahead of time. Something about chocolate and hot peppers appeals to me.

Pat June 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

Oh, and the hot pepper will be de-seeded, too, of course.

Roxi Beck June 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

These look TO DIE FOR. I'm adding them to my ever growing list of yummies for upcoming summer picnics - can't wait!

Laura June 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM  

YUM!! I love this idea :)

Anonymous June 15, 2011 at 7:57 PM  

How many eggs?

Jen June 16, 2011 at 9:14 PM  

I meant to thank you for the two that you left for me in your garage! They were delicious! I shared one with Mr M, and he wanted to know, "so where did she buy these?" and his eyes totally bugged out when I corrected him, "No, she MADE them!" (And then pointed out that if he ever LISTENED to his wife, he would already know that you made them, as in the statement, "Here have one of these that Michelle made." Sigh.) He kept repeating then, "She's really a good cook! She's like a gourmet cook!" (To which I responded, "what part of the title 'semi-professional food blogger' has been confusing to you???" Sigh.) LOL. Thanks again!

Michelle June 17, 2011 at 8:13 AM  

Patty - Did I mention that all 20 of them were gone the next day? *sigh* I definitely need to make them again. Soon.

Liz - Oh how fun. If it's still open, I'm linking. Thanks for sharing!

Tara - Oops, sorry. At least the 5 pounds I gained came from enjoying them.

Pat - I love that idea. I want to know how the jalapeno works in them. I've done cinnamon in chocolate/brownies before but never jalapenos.

Roxi - Thanks. They'd be perfect for picnics, portable and relatively not messy.

Laura - I don't blame you. So fun, and everyone loved them (if I do say so myself).

Anon - Oops. I left that out. 4 eggs, which is now added to the recipe. Sorry!

Jen - Glad you liked them. So nice of you to share; you know you could have eaten them both yourself, right? :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP