Saturday, June 5, 2010

Strategy Number 532,742

We're getting down to the finals days for a couple of these. If you've been thinking about entering, go do it now - a week of summer day camp for ages 5-12 here, a fun Shrek-tacular prize pack here, or a $25 Wal-Mart gift card here.

***

I treasure my sleep. I like to sleep a lot. I am not a morning person (and really not so much of a night owl either, somehow). I never got over the teenage tendancy of trying to sleep as late as humanly possible before facing the day.

On weekdays, this means I wake up moments before the wee ones and dress at the same time they do before we head downstairs to eat and pack up backpacks. It's possible that there are days I don't brush my hair or anything else until after they've been dispatched to school.

The wee ones, however, are morning people. They wake up chipper and wanting to play - knowing that the days tend to be fairly full, leaving them with less than the amount of time they'd like to do nothing. While they don't get up super early, I have had to institute the rule that they are not allowed to go into each other's rooms to play until at least 7am.

In fact, I don't really need an alarm clock any more, because at 7am ever morning on the dot, I can hear them starting their games, generally in Little Miss's room.

Weekends though... weekends, we don't have to be out the door at 8am. Weekends are when we have a chance to relax a bit more and hang out. And sleep.

Except for the 7am thing.

I've tried getting them to sleep later, but they really just love playing with each other. Even when they agree the night before to sleep in and not play so early or so loud, that promise is forgotten by the time the sun peeks over the horizon.

I came up with a new strategy last night.



At 7am, I heard Mister Man tiptoe into Little Miss's room. He ran back and forth between the door and her bed reading her the sign. Then he explained loudly exactly what it meant

And then he closed her door and went back into her room.  Silence reigned until 7:45 on the dot.

Unfortunately, I was already awake by the time he left her room the first time, so this strategy failed in its mission. I'm back to the drawing board. Maybe I'll go sleep in the basement on weekends? Or send them down there. Hmmm....

12 comments:

Karen June 5, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

I feel that pain. Our kids were all early risers, and Micah is the earliest. Just when I think "Yes! The older kids can get up with him in the mornings and let me sleep in!" they go and turn into teenagers. Now they sleep late while I'm up with Micah. *sigh*

Regina June 5, 2010 at 8:37 PM  

Sleep is so good! Hope you find a way to elongate your sleep-session on the weekends!

Claudya Martinez June 5, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

Earplugs.

WeaselMomma June 6, 2010 at 6:07 AM  

That's hysterical. Sometimes you just can't win. By the time they start sleeping in on weekends, you will wake up on your own at the crack of dawn and start swearing.

Tara R. June 6, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

Fortunately all my peeps are late sleepers, but like WM, it's a moot point. I wake up at 0'dark:30 no matter what. But, I get a few hours of undisturbed peace and quiet until they all get out of bed.

Good luck finding your own weekend quiet.

kara-noel June 6, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

I am NOT a morning person either (understatement) I have a great strategy! I’ll be posting soon and I’ll send you a link!

Alexis AKA MOM June 7, 2010 at 12:06 AM  

What is it about the weekends and getting up early. During the week pulling teeth to get to school, up early ... ugh!

Pat June 7, 2010 at 10:59 AM  

Oh, did this ever bring back memories! I just got used to getting up early as my hubby slept in.

Michelle June 7, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

kara-noel - I'm hoping it's a strategy I haven't yet tried. I've gone through a few!

Alexis - Ohhhh we don't (generally) sleep in during the week either. And starting next week, we have summer school starting at 8am.

Pat - I'm doing my best not to get used to it. Being up at 11 AND happy to be up in the am is not conducive to a happy mommy!

septembermom June 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

Sleep? What is sleep?

Mrs4444 June 13, 2010 at 2:27 AM  

Just be glad they're not waking you up with fighting :)

Michelle June 14, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

Kelly - I've heard of this mysterious sleep, but I'm not familiar with it....

Mrs4444 - Oooo too true. Of course now you've probably jinxed it. And this morning, I had to carry Mister Man out of bed to get him to summer school.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP