Friday, November 20, 2009

You Go, Boy!

Today is November 20.

In my world, we're preparing for (in this order) my birthday and Thanksgiving. Just kidding -- while my birthday is coming up, the focus is truly on Thanksgiving. Ask Mister Man. I had no idea this many Thanksgiving songs even existed.

However, some places are rushing things a little.

In August, I saw my first Christmas display. I went out to eat last week, and the mall was playing Christmas songs. Christmas lights are out everywhere. A neighbor even has a lit Christmas tree in his window already.

I'm not ready for it. Don't get me wrong; I love Christmas. I just prefer to savor it at the appropriate time rather than elongating it until it isn't special anymore.

At lunch today, our waitress wrote "Happy Holidays!" on our check. While WeaselMomma (jokingly, I believe?) suggested we amend her tip for that, we essentially just sighed and shook our heads.

Then she, Melisa, and I walked through the mall and saw all the Christmas lights, line to see (a bad) Santa, and more evidence that no one is remembering to savor the season in its own time.

This afternoon, Mister Man and I went to vision therapy. As we were walking away from the receptionist's desk after checking in, she wished us "Happy Holidays!"

Mister Man turned around and gave her a scathing look.

You mean "Happy Thanksgiving," don't you?

She had the grace to look abashed and proceeded to wish us a Happy Thanksgiving.

Score one for the little guy.

13 comments:

Claudya Martinez November 20, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

Someone wished my coworker a Merry Christmas and he said, "Christmas? What about Thanksgiving?"

Laura November 21, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

OMG I love your son, give him a big hug from auntie Laura-I don't have nieces or nephews so I take what I can get :) or steal :D or demand!!

WeaselMomma November 21, 2009 at 5:44 AM  

Mega points for Little Man!
I loved having lunch with you and Melisa today. I really enjoy spending time with both of you so much.

septembermom November 21, 2009 at 6:27 AM  

Little Man is on top of things! Let's not rush the holidays. Let's take it one holiday at a time :)

Pat November 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

Good for Little Man! My husband and I are going on a three week cruise to Panama & back most of December to escape the pre-Christmas craziness. We did a 2-weeker to Hawaii (and back) in 07 for the same reason. All the parties, potlucks and fattening food have just gotten to be too much for me. But we will spend Christmas with our oldest son & family.

anymommy November 21, 2009 at 11:38 AM  

Starbucks is killing me with their Christmas cups.

MaBunny November 22, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

WOOHOO go Mister Man!!! Good for you! Personally I get sick of Christmas music and all the retail crap real quick, BUT when it comes down to family and friends for Thanksgiving and Christmas I'm all for it!

xxxx November 22, 2009 at 5:10 PM  

I got a Happy Thanksgiving at the mall yesterday. Your little boy would be proud :)

Cookie November 22, 2009 at 11:43 PM  

Way to go Little man!
Really? Christmas in August?! That is crazy. With Christmas stuff so early this year, I think I missed Thanksgiving already.

Karen November 23, 2009 at 7:29 AM  

Unfortunately, the Hallowthanksmas Season is upon us. It's a sign of the times.

Michelle November 23, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

Unknown Mami - Good for your co-worker, too!

Laura - Oh I will. I was so proud of him. I didn't even give him any coaching on that one.

WeaselMomma - I thought you'd be proud. Lunch was yummmy... love that I got the GC when I got home :)

Kelly - He is, isn't he? I love the ability to project some of my ummm pet peeves onto the wee ones ;)

Pat - That's definitely one way to avoid the frenzy. Of course I don't know that the fattening food would be avoided for me while aboard.

Stacey - Avoiding Starbucks is working for me for the moment, but ... yikes. Now I'm sad.

Macry - Ohhhhh so do I. I love Christmas for what it means, not for what's forced down my throat.

Swishy - He'd be very proud. Yay, Mall Person.

Dawn - Ummm yeah. Costco at least has some Christmas stuff in August, and I know they aren't the only ones.

Karen - By you maybe... by us the season is Hallowthanksmahanukza. Even better.

Angela November 24, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

Good boy! I totally agree. They keep inching it back, year by year. Our next door neighbors have had their tree up almost a week. And they WON'T be here for Thanksgiving. They are going out of town to see family. What's with putting up the tree that early? Help, I just don't get it!!

Michelle March 26, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Angela - I was awfully proud of him in my twisted sort of way :) I'm with you on just having a good time and enjoying the holiday but not lengthening it until it's meaningless. And to me, that's what happens when everything is out there for so long.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP