Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tasty Tuesday - Roasted Brussel Sprouts

I like my green veggies. I know not everyone does, but I would happily take asparagus or spinach or kale every day. And then there's brussel sprouts. This is one of those veggies that everyone loves to hate, and I have to admit that I'd never even tried them for decades because of their reputation.

Then I ate them. And I fell in love. Brussel sprouts are my favorite vegetable now, and when they're in season, I eat them all the time. My favorite way? Roasting them with bacon. Because bacon makes everything better.

Trust me, it's worth a try this way. This is not my mama's brussel sprout.


Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

Ingredients:
1 pound fresh brussel sprouts (Seriously. Don't ever buy frozen ones. Yuck.)
4 oz bacon
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Wash and trim your brussel sprouts. Remove the outer leaves that aren't held tightly to the sprouts. Cut off the bottom root, then slice the sprouts in half. If they're extra large, quarter them.


Toss the brussel sprouts in a bowl with the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.


Place your brussel sprouts on a cookie sheet covered with a sil pat, cut side up. Slice your bacon into matchsticks and lay on the cookie sheet between the brussel sprouts.


Place your brussel sprouts in the 425 degree oven. You will bake these for a total over a little over 30 minutes. About halfway through, turn your brussel sprouts over so that the cut sides face down. With about five minutes left, use tongs to separate the bacon into individual pieces so it crisps up at the end of the cooking. The brussel sprouts should be almost crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Yuuuuuum.

Place into a bowl, and serve immediately. Try not to pick up the pieces with your fingers to pop them in your mouth like cherries before everyone's sitting down to dinner. I'll be honest; I've never succeeded in this.


Enjoy this and more with Blessed With Grace and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Also posting now with A Southern Fairytale and her Mouthwatering Monday.

5 comments:

Tara R. March 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM  

When I became a mom, I swore I would never make my kids eat Brussels Sprouts. I have bad childhood memories… nuff said. But these? These sound tasty. I made have to break my boycott.

Alicia The Snowflake March 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM  

Those sound yummy! I am not a brussel sprouts fan either. But I've been thinking about trying them roasted. This is a recipe I think I could actually do. Thanks for sharing!

Heather March 14, 2012 at 6:47 AM  

Sometimes the wavelength that you and I are on is scary. I JUST made roasted brussel sprouts on Monday night for dinner- I hadn't had them in ages and I was dying for them. SO DELISH! I'll have to try this variation! :)

Pat March 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM  

My mom always used Swanson's frozen vegetables so I never knew that brussel sprouts could taste good until I was an adult. They have always been my husband's favorite and now I love them, too. They have a slight sweet taste to them when they are fresh and cooked. I'm going to try this recipe, definitely....it looks and sounds scrumptious!

Michelle March 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM  

Tara - My mom never did brussel sprouts, so I never even had them (thankfully, she also never did liver & onions). I made the wee ones try ones a friend made, and unfortunately I think they're ruined for them for a little while. Oops.

Alicia - This is such an easy recipe, and they taste SO much different (and better) this way.

Heather - We are apparently on the same wavelength. Go fig! I love them with bacon, and the balsamic gives them a nice little zip. Guess what I'm making again tonight ;)

Pat - Ohhhh. Yeah, frozen brussel sprouts are just wrong. Sorta like canned (fill in the blank). They absolutely taste a little sweet and so flavorful when they're fresh. Let me know what you think!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP