Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Milestones That You Aren't Looking For...

Tonight, I made skate for dinner. And no, I don't mean rollerskates. It's a kind of fish. I've had it before at restaurants, and a local store had it on sale for $2.99/pound, so I figured it would be a fun thing to try out and make for my husband and the wee ones.

As I was investigating this fish and what to do with it, I learned a few thing. First, I learned what skate is a pseudonym for. Second, I learned that it is 99% of the time cooked in a butter sauce of some sort, which doesn't work if Little Miss is going to eat dinner. Third, I learned that this fish turns fast. It starts smelling of ammonia and is then inedible.

The good news is that everyone liked it -- Little Miss especially loved it after I squeezed some lime of her portion. And yes, I promise the recipe will come this week for Tasty Tuesday. Unfortunately, there are no pictures. We were starved. It cooked, it went onto plates, and it was devoured. I figured showing the remaining bones wasn't going to sell it.

So tonight, my husband looked suspiciously at the fish on his plate and asked what it really was.

Me: I'll tell you after we're done eating.
Him: No, really, what is it?
Me: Mister Man, if I tell you what this fish is, are you going to keep eating it?
Mister Man: (enthusiastically)Yep!
Me: Ok.... It's S-T-I-N-G R-A-Y.
Husband: Ahhhh... and nodding sagely

I also hear a fork clattering onto the floor.

Mister Man: YOU'RE FEEDING ME STRING RAY?!

Oops. I guess we can't spell things out in front of him anymore. Crap.

6 comments:

septembermom July 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

Michelle, I can just imagine his face:) Mister Man's reaction is priceless. Fun story! I wish I had your versatility in the kitchen.

Mrs4444 July 19, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

I guess not! I've never heard of eating skate before (except maybe in the context of The Rollerena, haha.)

Cookie July 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

I have never heard of that before. Mister man is getting too smart for his own good.
I can remember when my son was about 3 years old and me and my husband would always spell out ice cream. So one time we started, "I-C-E..." And my son started shouting "ice cream! ice cream!" They learn fast!

Debbie July 20, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

I didn't know it was stingray! You've taught me something today.

Martha July 20, 2009 at 4:50 PM  

Is it really stingray or were you teasing him? Hmmm, I don't think I ever knew you could eat stingray!

Michelle July 20, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

Kelly - It was pretty precious. I had to tell him I was joking to convince him to continue eating.

Mrs4444 - I've had it at restaurants before. Apparently it's a popular French item and has been big on the East Coast for awhile.

Cookie - Gotta love how they pick up on things, don'tcha? The wee ones' first word they recognized in spelling was stop. Weird, no?

Debbie - I aim to please! Anything else you want to know? Ok ok ok, so I learned it only when investigating how to cook it :)

Martha - It really is stingray. And it's actually quite delicious. Very flaky and sweet. Really tender, too!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP