Saturday, January 31, 2009

Is Your House Like This, Too?

For her birthday, a group of my friends gave Little Miss a dollhouse. I never opened it, thinking that a) she's probably too young for a dollhouse and b) we already have so many toys, we don't really need any more.

On Thursday, my mom opened it up and started putting it together. Those last four words still crack me up. My mom isn't exactly the most mechanically inclined person I know. She can't read a map, and the way children's toys provide instructions work about as well for her. It was rather entertaining to watch her try to put it together -- or rather to hear her, since I was working while she was doing this.

It finally all came together, and this has been the favorited toy for both the wee ones ever since. What, you say her birthday was awhile ago? Well, yeah it's true that her half-birthday is tomorrow. But I really didn't think she'd be interested in it. I was wrong.

It comes with a mom and dad and two babies. They have a swing, a slide, a kitchen table and chairs, and I think that's it. After the wee ones had been playing with it for awhile, my mom turned to me and asked, "Do you suppose they might make any furniture or anything for this dollhouse?"

I'm a smart alec. "Nope, this is it. They decided they didn't need to make any more money off this franchise. It's really a shame though, isn't it? They don't even have a bed to sleep on." My mom agreed with me. I sighed and pointed out that it was made by Fisher Price. I probably don't make enough money in a year to buy the acessories the company provides.

Regardless, the wee ones are quite content to play with it as is. They have the house completely in order.

This is the kitchen where everyone eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Apparently they don't fear carbon monoxide poisoning, as the gas grill is in the kitchen.


After dinner, the babies go up to their room. It's the nursery, according to Little Miss.



Then, the mommy and daddy walk up the stairs to their bedroom. I've decided the babies must fly to the nursery, as Little Miss didn't need them to walk up any stairs -- not even the set of stairs to the second floor before flying off to bed.


This is the mommy and daddy bedroom. I found it interesting that the mommy and daddy sleep head to toe. In our house, Mommy and Daddy sleep in the same bed with our heads facing the right direction. Eh, she's three.


And this is Sir Topham Hatt's bedroom. He is apparently a boarder in the dollhouse, and he brought some of his friends from the Island of Sodor with him. Ahh, this explains why Harold the helicoptor and friends were around the kitchen table eating with the family!


And this is Snowy's room. Yes, the famous Snowy the bear who wears underwear that Little Miss steals to wear on her head. He is apparently also a boarder who sleeps in the bedroom next to the mommy and daddy. Do you like the Thomas underwear and bowtie? Apparently he takes his socks off for bedtime though, as those aren't on him at the moment.


The rest of the trains sleep in the trailer in teh back yard. Lucky for them, they each have their own compartment (just like those creepy hotels in Japan!) with their names labeled so no one ever gets confused. Gotta love the little bit of hillbilly in Little Miss. It comes from her father's side of the family, just in case you were wondering!


After they'd been playing with the dollhouse for awhile, I asked Little Miss if she had named any of the dolls yet. I was pretty sure she had, and her vehement nod confirmed it. I was expecting more "Snowy, Snowy, Snowy, Snowy." Nope. "This is Michelle X. This is Little Miss. This is Mister Man. And this one is Daddy X." Yep, apparently I have a first and a last name in Little Miss's world, but Daddy... he only has a last name. Awwww, how sweet.

With as much fun as they've been having with the dollhouse, I'm really wondering why I didn't open it before. Then again, ask me next week if they still even notice it sitting in the middle up our upstairs hallway!



15 comments:

Debbie January 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

When my kids were smaller, I often kept back Christmas and birthday gifts and spaced them out through the years. The kids enjoy them so much more when they aren't overwhelmed with so many things.

BloggessJ February 1, 2009 at 12:06 AM  

Cute post. Snowy looks adorable in his (?) Thomas underware and bowtie.

Mary February 1, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

We bought a Barbie Dream House for our girls when they were 6 & 4, and they played with it a lot for years! I kept it (although I have no idea why) and now our nearly 3 yr old plays with it quite a bit too.

Kori February 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

What an imagination. That's wonderful. I had a dollhouse when I was little. I loved that thing.

Angie's Spot February 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

Big A got a dollhouse for Christmas '07 and it was such a HUGE hit that Little A got one last Christmas. Of course, now the big dispute is that "her dollhouse is different than mine! I want a dollhouse like hers!" Good grief.

So far, a huge array of Thomas characters, farm animals, zoo animals and people have taken up residence in the 2 homes. I'm glad to see that we're raising some well-rounded, non-discriminating kids. :-)

Jill February 1, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

I am glad they had fun with the doll house! I had one when I was little but I do believe it was made of card board! lol! The furniture inside was so real looking and I remember that I would sit for hours and play with it! HOpe the kids have fun with it but I am sure there will be pieces of it all over your house for weeks to come!

Jill February 1, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

I signed your following list.. I enjoyed reading your posts! feel free to do the same and come back to visit me! :)

Melisa Wells February 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

I ADORE how Sir Topham Hatt can crash at this dollhouse. LOVE IT!

MaBunny February 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

Oh love the doll house and what an imagination! How cute!

Anonymous February 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

I got my girl that same house for Christmas. My baby boy tries to climb it.

Michelle February 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

Debbie - We do the same thing where we only open a birthday present after the thank you note has been written for the previous one. But ... I did feel bad waiting so long for this one. Glad I'm not the only one!

Jamie - Yes, we have figured out that Snowy is a boy. Go fig. That would be the Thomas underwear that I refused to let Little Miss wear when Mister Man outgrew it and she became potty trained.

Mary - Oh, I'm so glad to hear that your 6 and 4 year old played with it for years! I hate toys that they only like for a few days or weeks.

Kori - Oh yeah. They've got an imagination alright. You should hear the stories they make up sometimes.

Angie - It's amazing what they come up with as their games. I like the description of well-rounded for this!

Jill - I had a cardboard one, too -- mostly since the huge one my dad was building for me ummmm was never actually completed. Ever. The simplest toys are always the best -- and thanks!

Melisa - Yep, he's crashing. And apparently DouglasKitty has also moved in. He has the room underneath the swings and slide now.

MaBunny - Yeah, they are pretty cute, aren't they?

Elftea - Hee hee. I love that your boy uses it for exercise like that. Here's hoping your daughter's ok with sharing like that!

Cookie February 1, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

I love the bear in the dollhouse. It reminds of Godzilla attacking the buildings.
I remember having a dollhouse as a little girl. I loved it.

Michelle February 2, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

Cookie - I love the imagery of Snowy as Godzilla! I have to say though, I don't think I ever saw Godzilla taking a nap ;)

Fairy Princess Garden February 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

Mine love their dollhouses and occasionally we have GI Joe's sleep over and Hot Wheels parked in the "garage", I guess the Joe's come home on leave. And yes even my 7yo plays with his sisters (sshhh don't tell him I said that)...thanks for sharing..had me cracking up.

Michelle February 4, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

Fairy Princess Garden - Oh yay, I have two more years of this with Mister Man. I'm sure my husband will REALLY be freaking out by then! Today, the mommy and daddy went to the ER because the mommy fell down and got hurt and had blood coming from her nose. I'm really beginning to wonder where they get their ideas....

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP