Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's Just A Word

Mister Man got a Webkinz for his birthday last year. I sort of didn't really get it, I mean he was only four and we didn't use the computer much except for Starfall periodically. In mid-November last year, I finally signed up for Webkinz.

Oh, it's cool. For him, really. I don't mean for me. I would never log on just to play the games myself or anything like that. He needs the Kinzcash. You know, so he can take the classes and get higher levels. And if you don't log in for a few days, the garden dies. He loves it. Really.

Actually, he really does enjoy Webkinz. Especially Ant Mania, which is a game I detest. Gardening and the Gem Hunt and other things are also on the high list, I suppose. Unfortunately, we usually only remember to log on and play together once a week or once every other week.

So it's up to me. I try to do my duty when I remember. And recently, I remembered that it was pretty close to a year since we'd first signed up. Actually, it was pretty hard to forget, as they sent near-daily reminders to re-up.

Luckily, we've since gotten new Webkinz. It wasn't on purpose, but when a very nice man who owns the local Learning Express gives one to Mister Man just because, how do you say no?

We now officially have two Webkinz on the same account, which is sorta cool. When you're in a room, you can see both of them. Like I said... sorta cool. The actual stuffed animals are treasured friends of Mister Man's. Like all our pets, he's named them. And like all his friends, they're boys -- regardless of whether they're named Tinkerbell or Rosie or Donald.

Mister Man hadn't played the game with me since I added DonaldLeopard (named after the Thomas train, of course). When we logged on last night, we played our usual games but he kept putting off gardening. Finally, he agreed to garden, which is where we'd finally see DonaldLeopard.

When we entered the room, he saw the other guy there. The smaller one, because DonaldLeopard is a L'il Kinz.

Mister Man: Mommy, who's that?
Me: Who do you think it is?
Mister Man: Is it DK's mother?
Me: Mmmm, nope. Isn't this one littler? Who does it look like?
Mister Man: I don't know. It looks like another cat.
Me: Look closely, Kiddo.
Mister Man: Is it DK's little sister?
Me: Mmm, you're close. Does it look like anyone you know?
Mister Man: Oh, oh, OH! It's DONALDLEOPARD!
Me: You're right, Mister Man.
Mister Man: So it is his sister!
Me: Umm, isn't DonaldLeopard a boy?
Mister Man: Oh yeah, right. It's his boy sister.

Gender, we've got down. In abstract anyway.

11 comments:

AutoSysGene December 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM  

LOL! Sounds like Hope. Today she told me when she grew up she was going to be a boy...good luck with that, huh? :)

Michelle December 3, 2008 at 11:01 PM  

Melissa - Yeah... I really do wonder where they get their understanding of the world sometimes :) I've had the wee ones tell me they were going to grow up to the opposite gender, too. Or that they're going to marry each other; that's another personal favorite of mine!

Cookie December 4, 2008 at 1:39 PM  

Too funny!
I'm glad my kids haven't gotten into the webkinz craze yet. But they enough other "crazes" to keep me busy!

Michelle December 4, 2008 at 7:42 PM  

Cookie - I can imagine there are all sorts of crazes out there. We're still working on our Thomas craze, and that's three years old now!

edbteach December 5, 2008 at 6:31 AM  

My 10 year old LOVES Webkinz. She has almost 30 of them now. (That's all she buys with her allowance/birthday money.) I think they are adorable and she really likes playing on the computer. I like knowing she is playing on a relatively safe site (to me anyway.)

My five year old also likes them but not as much. Since he is just learning to read she helps him out quite a bit. (Or I do. I like the cow game where you knock out the milk bottles!)

Michelle December 5, 2008 at 6:12 PM  

edbteach - Wow, that's a lot of Webkinz! How does she keep up with them all? I agree that it's a good site, and it's a safe place for them to learn about computers et al. And I'm with you on Cash Cow! It's a good one. That and Goober's Lab.

krissy December 6, 2008 at 8:36 AM  

OH, great post! That's so cute!

Michelle December 6, 2008 at 4:50 PM  

krissy - Thanks! I'm still cracking up over the boy sister idea :)

BPOTW December 10, 2008 at 10:30 PM  

Hilarious! Now days with boys becoming girls and girls becoming boys I guess it is technically possible for someone to have a boy sister... He's got his critical thinking cap on, mom!

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 2:49 AM  

:D !!

Michelle December 13, 2008 at 12:43 AM  

Vicki - Oooo, I hadn't thought about it that way. Very interesting. Would you care to explain his thought that he will marry his sister and have 11 children with her then? That one I keep trying to explain to him, but with little success.

Pretty Me - Glad you liked it :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP