Saturday, June 28, 2008

Quirks Are Good, Right?

Yesterday, I went to lunch with a good friend of mine.

We used to work together until he took a job in Dallas three years ago. He's since quit that job and is currently consulting at a company up in my neck of the woods. This was his last week, and he's been here for three months. It figures that yesterday was the first time our schedules meshed to catch up. Granted, he did blow me off a week ago Thursday when he had a meeting come up, but still... it's sort of sad!

We went to one of my favorite little restaurants, Bapi, which serves great Italian food. I'm a sucker for gnocchi, so that was a no brainer for me (especially in vodka sauce, yum!). My friend got a chicken breast that was stuffed with spinach and peppers and cheese and a bunch of other stuff. He was quite impressed and offered me a bite.

Me: No thanks!
Him: Are you sure? It's really good.
Me: Uhh, yeah. I can't mix my meats and cheeses.
Him: Why does this not surprise me? So you can't eat any meet and cheese together?
Me: Well, as long as it isn't melted cheese, I'm ok.
Him: But if it's melted, you can't do it.
Me: Actually, I can do cheeseburgers. And bacon and cheese omelettes. But nothing else.
Him: Is it a texture thing?
Me: Pretty much. I also have a really hard time with things like rice pudding.
Him: Wait, don't you eat cottage cheese though? (see -- good friends remember these weird things)
Me: Yeah, why?
Him: They have the same texture.
Me: Oh, not at all! Cream cheese is a solid with a tiny bit of juice. Rice pudding is pudding with these things in them. Totally gross.
Him: Anything else I should know?
Me: I think I've scared you enough for today. But I'm at least trying to not pass them along to the wee ones.
Him: And the world can breathe once more.

As I was driving home after lunch, I started to think about that conversation. And I realized that I really do have some weird eating habits. Many of them I can blame on my mom, but why on earth can I not eat cheese and meat together (I can't even do meat on pizzas)?

I also have issues with:
Mushrooms
Nuts (except the pine nuts I put in my granola. And peanuts in Snickers.)
Peanut butter
Green olives
Tofu (ok, this isn't that unusual -- most people are with me on this one)
Overcooked pasta
Green peppers
Salad dressing (I have to have minimal salad dressing or it's too cloying for me; usually I make my own)
American cheese
Mayonaise (I use less than a half teaspoon when making tuna salad but that's about the only place I can eat it)
Chocolate ice cream
Cheesecake
Potato chips that aren't plain
Anything ranch flavored
Fritos, Doritos and all of those yucky snack chip things
Cooked broccoli and carrots (but I love them raw)
Lunchmeat
Corn tortillas
White bread
Coke -- actually, all brown pops, including root beer
Milk
Turkey

Can you imagine being my mom and having to pack my lunch? No PB&J or ham sandwiches for me. I'm trying to remember what I actually did eat for lunch, and the one thing that springs to mind is cheddar cheese slices with mustard on bread (that was part of third grade). I can only pray that my wee ones will have some more "normal" habits. Fortunately, Mister Man currently loves PB&J. And I'm sure Little Miss will, too, once I let her have nuts.

7 comments:

Rhea June 28, 2008 at 8:15 PM  

Wow, you do have some interesting food quirks!! lol I'm pretty finiky, but I'm getting better the older I get. Your poor mom must have had a hard time feeding you!

Karen June 28, 2008 at 9:11 PM  

Good heavens! That must make for interesting eating.

MaBunny June 29, 2008 at 7:55 AM  

Michelle, I am sooo lmao at this post. Like you said everyone has quirks. Let's see , from your list of food I also can't stand mushrooms (they are too slimy), or peppers ( justy yucky all around).
However my favorite sandwich/comfort food is peanut butter and mayonnaise, with a side of nacho cheese doritos!!! I'm sooo NOT kidding with that one. My husband just won't watch me even make that concoction, hehehe.
I like cooked broccoli/cauliflower, and will eat cooked carrots, but only like from a crock pot with a roast, or in a heavey stew/soup.
I like Kosher dill pickles. Can you stand those? They have a tad bit of weird texture.
Well have a great weekend. I'm going to my moms for a few days but thank goodness she has a computer so I can stay in touch with my blog friends:))
ttyl

Michelle June 29, 2008 at 3:27 PM  

Rhea - I know my quirks are odd. At least I do now. When I was growing up, I just thought that's how everyone ate! My sister was worse -- she had the 4 p's: pizza, pop, pretzels and pasta. And we had a lot of meals that were spaghetti my mom had made days before that was sitting in a ziplock in the fridge or cottage cheese, etc. My mom doesn't *like* food, so meals weren't really a big deal for us.

Karen - the funny thing is, it was hard for me to come up with the things I don't eat because there are so many that I do eat (granted, some of them are way out there) that those are the ones that are second nature to me. I LOVE sushi, I had stuffed pizza on Friday (if you don't live in Chicago, you haven't lived), I'm making Thai beef lettuce wraps for dinner on Tuesday, etc. Then again most of those are interesting!

MaBunny - You can definitely not come to my house to eat! Seriously, peanut butter and mayonaise? Ewww! I won't even comment on the sides :) I did forget to mention the exception of carrots cooked for soup or stew. I'll eat those and like them. And I LOVE pickles. Bread and butter are my favorite, but the giant dill ones are a very close second.

Kellan June 29, 2008 at 4:54 PM  

I know about these quirks. I don't personally have many quirks, but people in my family do - and lots of friends.

Hope you had a good weekend - Kellan

Angie's Spot July 1, 2008 at 10:26 PM  

Wow, I thought I was the only one with serious food quirks! I knew I liked you. We're kindred spirits in many ways when it comes to funny food issues. I see a blog entry coming up about this over at my spot. :-)

Michelle July 1, 2008 at 10:50 PM  

Kellan - You can't even humor me and pretend you have one of these quirks? Thanks!

Angie - Yep, total kindred souls. Phew - someone who shares my quirks :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP